Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Advice

I'm about 50 hours away from a lv license in Ma, which reciprocates in Maine, Rhode Island, and Vermont. I can't say that the license will get me where I want to be, but what it will get me into a smaller pond of potential labor.

There's no substitute for experience. Primes want experienced workers, and will pay the very lowest wage possible to get them. And if they're willing to gamble with their company's reputation (and their customer's safety) they're take a chance on an arrogant green-been for less money. I've bee pushed out the door and thrown to the wolves almost every job I've had.

Requiring by law an installer to be licensed by an board independent of the employer's (or MSO) influence would protect the employee. It also protects the sub-contractor from the fly-by-night hacks who roll into town when the work is good, only to drive down the prices and leave a mess.

I was a training seminar last week for fire alarm equipment. Out of 60 techs I was one of three who wasn't a journeyman/master electrician. These guys were lamenting about $40-65 an hour sub prices, how it was a joke to work for less.

This is CABL.com posting #164158. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQRS
Posted in reply to: Advice by nrb1
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Advice nrb1 3/25/2006 11:17:00 AM