Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Trey... What do you do for a living?

(mad) <Being Tommy from Goodfellas>

AM I here to amuse you!?!?!? LOL..........

Dont see why no one can imagine an installers can have thoughts like mine. It may be because I didnt come up on this side of the dollar. Im in my early 30's. Although I started working at 15 at a flower shop, my first real job was with SBC, then called Ameritech, I then moved to Lucent Technologys, then AT&T. My early years of working spoiled me I guess. Ive always had jobs that paid top dollar for my time and efforts. I came up with people who see things very differently than guys on this side of the dollar. ON the other side I saw people who took great pride in craftsmanship. These same people also were serious about how they were compensated for that crafmanship.

Things over here are very different. EVeryone has the "just shut and be happy" attitude. I used to think people want you to shut up because they hate to hear the facts. Boy was I wrong. The low pay and disrespect just doesnt bother people on this side. Its as if the most rewarding thing, is to be able to say I work hard and get shorted on pay. To me this is weird. To see people who are able to point out who is F*ckin them and how, but do nothing is a new concept to me. Im not trying to be funny either. The mindset in this business is IMO one of a kind. Dont get me wrong, with all the emertging techologys in this business this is a place of oppurtunity. These oppurtuntys just seem to be geared more towards the admin side of things at times.

Apparently, I just might have to learn to conform. Learn to take pride in getting paid 1000/ week even though I did $1800 worth of work. Hey, I should just be happy, I mean $1000 is not bad. If my dream came true and we organized I would expect for everyone to respect the way the majority voted. So I guess I will follow my own rules and walk with the majority, and now try to see if maybe Im wrong. It appears quite obvious to me that although many people feel improvements are needed. Not to many feel action is needed, and with out action things will most likely stay the same. Which seems to be what most people want anyways.

To answer your question, I rant because Im constantly insulted. Paying me $75 to do a wall fish is insane, but paying an electrician $150 + for the same wall fish is acceptable. I go from $75 for a phone jack, to the possibility of doing them free. Im constantly "encouraged" by Install companies to perform free work to save a sell. Its always " hey its just this", or "all youre doing is this, cmon do it. Dont walk away ". The constant reminder that the work I perform has no value only because Im the one doing it, is to me the ultimate disrespect. An electrician fishes a wall,or, a telephone guy who installs a jack are paid well. Very well. But because of the side of the fence Im on, if I do these EXACT same things it has no value. Like I said, the ultimate display of disrespect, at least I thought. I am know learning that maybe this should be the source of pride. If it is, lucky for me becaue my cup would runneth over!!

This is CABL.com posting #163865. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQM9
Posted in reply to: Re: Trey... What do you do for a living? by crawl2much
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Trey... What do you do for a living? oldschoolgal 3/27/2006 2:28:00 PM
Re: Trey... What do you do for a living? sumahit 3/21/2006 11:31:00 PM