Create your free account now! Sign up

Phone Lines

I was wondering if this audience could help define the problem that exists with DTV and DISH, and the 'need/'must' for a phone line to the receiver.
I remember in the 80's that Mr. or Mrs. J.Q. Public could sign up for belonging to the Nielson family of what people liked to watch. This created the ratings system, without ever paying a dime to the consumer-while 'they'-in turn felt that their conscious watching of a program would help benefit approval for that program quid pro quoe.
There are no more Nielson boxes.
Cable Television units can talk back to the programmer without the use of phone. Satellite needs this to communicate.
For the last 3 years my DVR has ASKED to be dialed out, but otherwise no problems. (being a satellite guy nowadays, I am obviously too poor for pay per view anyways) For instance.
The lynch-pin into this--as being a first time piece rate employee in over 10 years, is that now I have to run a phone line for free. If I were again a phone guy I would probably be raking it in.

Q) What do you, as a public, know about this quagmire? Who knows of this and the importance of ratings for the system and what do your opinions tell us into this?

the point being that FOX would never know that X amount of people watch the 'Simpson's' anymore, and consider it # 1. Why am I running a phone line for free, while I am being payed piece rate? How does fox 'know' that so many people watch whatever program-do people somehow call and say "this show rocks" or are there people standing on street corners taking surveys....
The answer is an obvious "NO!"

Anyway, I guess that it is important to know what controls your work and towards how you are manipulated into things. While our standard drops to foot the bill, so does our livelihood.

Thanks

This is CABL.com posting #163777. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQLJ
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Phone Lines Gwester843 3/21/2006 12:24:00 PM
Re: Phone Lines mt30ys 3/21/2006 7:58:00 AM
Re: Phone Lines rficken00 3/21/2006 7:35:00 AM
Re: Phone Lines GSE Texas 3/21/2006 1:37:00 AM