Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: What went wrong with the cable business

Sorry to hear things are so bad Tutt. I know you and know that you are willing to get yourself set up to work so long as the money is there. How low must the pricing scheme be if you can only average $250 per day. That is the root of the problem.

Let's see,
Hotel = 300/week
Insurance = 100/week
Food = 250/week
Truck = 100/week (maint cost for owned truck)
Fuel = 300/week
Incidentals = between 100 and 200 / week

Grand total : 1200 per week
1200 per week = 175 per day

Now, I pulled those numbers out of my head and am on the high side of estimating. Personally, my expenses are quite a bit less (for example all my insurance together is under $5000 a year) on average. Even so, at $250 per day that leaves $75 for life outside of cable per day. Not nearly enough. You would need at least $400 per day of billing to clear $1600 per week after expenses.

And what about the home time? I tend to work 10 days on 10 days off so my actual daily numbers are half. Yes, you can grab some cash work around home to give yourself something to do and pay for gas (and hopefully a little golf) but really it just gets you out of the house when not on a job. :)

Like anything, you need to force the issue some place you want to work. CREATE a position by finding a need for your services. Since you know me you know how long I waited out the company I'm working for. I set my prices at a level that lets me make the amount I'm happy with. Working directly for an MSO as a contractor has it's ups and downs though. Having to wait a max 6 weeks for pay can be trying. 30 days, I could do that standing on my head. To operate at the level you want you really HAVE to be able to make 30 days. Period. If you want to run with the big dogs you need to be able to hang with the big dogs.

I say, find a place you want to be. Look at their plant. See if there is room for improvement. Then start talking to these people directly. Make them see it from your point of view without making them look foolish. Set your prices and run with it. I bet you can hit that $400 average. You have your own tools and truck. There simply has to be work out there since I have never met an MSO that didn't have maintenance to do.

I wish you the best Tutt. I find it hard to believe you are really getting out. If so though, give me a call before you start dumping your meters and tools. We all go through bad patches. Maybe your next gig is somewhere you want to be, not somewhere you are told to be.

Later bro, this easter is 18 years for me. One thing I have found in all that time is the job you want is almost never advertised. You have to prove to someone you they need you to do the work for them, set your prices, and run like a MoFo.

Good Luck. You have my Nextel Number. I charge $60/hr for shrink services. :)

Mark
This is CABL.com posting #163657. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQJN
Posted in reply to: What went wrong with the cable business by Tutt
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: What went wrong with the cable business CUTTER 3/21/2006 9:51:00 AM