Create your free account now! Sign up

What went wrong with the cable business

I have been in the cable business 15 plus years in construction and splicing. I read all these ads on the cable bar and everyone seems to be making good money. What I don't understand is how. The jobs I have called on, the people I talked to must be idiots. They tell me I can come on the road and splice and make at least $250.00 a day. What is that? Pay for your hotel, gas, bucket truck, insurance(general liability and workmans comp), nextel phone, food, laundry, and other incidentals and you tell me how much you have made at the end of a month. ( Not crap ) On top of that they want you to wait 30 days from invoice to get your pay. That means after you have forked out all the money it takes to make it for that long you hope to get paid on time. Which hardly ever happens anymore. Then they hope you are stuck and will keep working until the pay gets straighhten out. What a joke this business has become. They want the workers to do all the work and they want to give you about 30% of what the job is paying. So most of them keep about 70% for letting you do the work that they somehow got. I think it may be time to find another occupation. Good luck to all those who try to stick it out. Tutt
This is CABL.com posting #163619. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQJb
There are 7 replies to this message
Re: What went wrong with the cable business tccsaaug 3/23/2006 10:39:00 PM
Re: What went wrong with the cable business tccsaaug 3/23/2006 10:06:00 PM
Re: What went wrong with the cable business tccsaaug 3/23/2006 6:06:00 PM
Re: What went wrong with the cable business semper fi cable guy 3/20/2006 5:20:00 PM
Re: What went wrong with the cable business Dreamer 3/20/2006 11:30:00 AM
Re: What went wrong with the cable business cableguy67 3/19/2006 9:56:00 AM
Re: What went wrong with the cable business KODIAKSQ 3/18/2006 5:03:00 PM