Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Overtime pay on piece work

I see your points, but please stop talking like I made these rules. Also please note that I just posted part of the ruling. The ruling clearly states that no 1 factor determines classification. Each case is looked at individualy. They look at many different factors then make the decision. But seeing this ruling, and the ruling against fedex its clear that many people classified as contractors in this business are really employees. Let keep it real. Start times, am/pm jobs.

Also for the guy who said you either take the contract or leave it, does this mean those who accept the contracts are forced to pay wages that they can afford and not neccarily what the work is worth. Also another guy said he bids high, which lead me to believe that contracts were bidded on, so I take it as things vary from sytem to system.

It seems to me that many feel the right thing to do is to continue to ignore the laws and keep attention away from this. But as I said before you secret is safe. As a group installers feel we are getting thebest deal possible. We understand that if our employers were forced to pay us and obey the law our skills would get us min wage. So stop panicing.

My question is now, what IF companies in this indusrty were outed? In this thread we have worker that has got a judgement saying he is owed OT on piece rate. We also have an employer that has said he is being required to pay OT. Im assuming that the business models both of these guys work under are similar if not the same as models used through out the industry. What would you companies do if they began to crack down hard on install companies? Would you then require more money from the primes, or would you slash the rates to conform to the law?
This is CABL.com posting #163633. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQJp
Posted in reply to: Re: Overtime pay on piece work by oldweller
There are 0 replies to this message