Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Overtime pay on piece work

Hmm I think that you are skating on thin ice. As a prime I can tell you that a % ratio is calculated for standard pay. If I had to pay 1.5x the piece rate on overtime I would in return cut your base piece rate to compensate. Its business and having to know the profit margin is exactly what keeps me in business. These profits aren't as much as you think. 12% workmans comp, a very healthy fee for gen liab, taxes, $150+ a week per tech in fuel, vehicle insurance, vehicle payment, tools, damage claims, office space, secretary salary, supervisor that gets 10% of invoice(not always but more times than not on smaller projects)=20% of profits on a crappy 50/50 split with techs- I lose more profits to management if I pay out higher %, area manager that gets 3 to 5% of invoice. Think about a 35% reduction on piece rate when its slow? Lets say after I cut your piece rate you only work 40 hours the down weeks and you just lost 30% of your pay because I have to secure myself against loss on overtime. You are just giving me incentive to increase my profits not only by limiting you to 40 hours but also taking the value from install techs by flooding the labor force in order to keep under the overtime pay. I have never had a problem getting techs. NEVER. Finding weekend techs is easier than you think. You can easily give yourself the shaft unintentionally to continue this train of thought. Thats just my 2 cents worth. So go ahead punk make my day and make my wallet thicker.
This is CABL.com posting #163553. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQH7
Posted in reply to: Re: Overtime pay on piece work by jimh
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Overtime pay on piece work warrenrf 3/17/2006 10:17:00 PM
Re: Overtime pay on piece work Gary Vest 3/17/2006 10:15:00 PM