Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: What is the GVW of a T-37?

If you are over 10K GVW and a commercial vehicle , you will most likely need to get a USDOT registration , at the very least . Most of the scales will bring this to your attention , if they catch it . Some will run you down , if you pass them up . If you are traveling over 100 miles from your home office , and passing through more than one state , you are considered Interstate , and must keep a log of your trip . Under 100 miles , a simple duty hours will suffice . If you go to this website http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/
, click on Who Must Comply ? , answer the questions , and it will inform you if you are required to comply . The registration for the US DOT number is free , and very quick . For less than $ 100.00 , you can buy everything you need that is required to pass the DOT inspection which may occur anywhere during your travel . That is , provided your vehicle is able to pass a safety inspection . I will warn you in advance , do not attempt to travel through the State of Maryland , without having all your ducks in a row , unless you have some time to waste on your hands . I would suggest overnight or weekend travel , your odds are better the DOT personnel will be off duty , or , the scales will be closed . The DOT has been working all the roads here very hard lately , and are definitly picking on the smaller trucks .They have looked the other way for to long . I would say they are pulling in the 6 wheelers over the 18 wheelers at a ratio of 15-1 . I am definitly speaking from personal experience here . I was ignorant for quite awhile , and thought my truck didn't need to hit the scales . They forced me in ( DOT man jumped out in the highway in front of my truck when he saw me by-passing the scales ) , and really got schooled quickly . They rewarded me with 6 tickets ( a few were warnings ) and a possibility of $ 1,750.00 in fines . Needless to say I am in compliance now . They gave me one week before the fines would take effect , to correct all issues . I corrected . Hope this helps you in your quest regarding your truck and the DOT . If you stay in one state , also check with that state DOT . I have been referring to the Federal Laws , and the State of Maryland .
(nod)(wave)(shocked)(sad)(eek) Good Luck
This is CABL.com posting #162643. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQtr
Posted in reply to: Re: What is the GVW of a T-37? by BIGBrutus
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: What is the GVW of a T-37? subterracommtech 3/3/2006 11:22:00 PM