Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

No, I am not wrong, since when did Boeing, Ratheon, Leahr and Cessna become satellite installation companies. I asked for specifics as they relate to this industry, not the aircraft industry . I am talking apples and you want to throw in nothing but oranges.

I say that it is only the opinions of the HSP employees who are eligible to vote on the union issue that matter , you say everyone should have a say in the issue, but then you contradict yourself by saying that neither side should be allowed to spread propaganda (which is in some way the expression of an opinion). If neither side (company management or union paid employees) should be allowed to spread propaganda then that means their opinions have no place in this discussion either, correct? To this I agree. So why do you believe that a contractor who would not be represented by a union has any right to a say in the matter? If a union being voted in has some effect on them then they should have tried to become an employee prior to the union vote and cast a vote against the union. As a contractor they have no choice in the matter period. That’s the way it is like or not.

Yes in effect the HSP’s are contractors, but their techs are not contractors, they are employees. The HSP’s companies themselves cannot be represented by a union but their employees can. The union is not open to every person who installs Directv but it is open to the employees of the Directv’s HSP’s that vote the union into their office. So if the contractors cannot vote, the contractors are not part of the decision making process so what gives them the right to be part of the discussion or debate process? It’s a two party process, those employees who are for a union and those who are opposed, simple as that.

As for B&A they were one of the primary reasons the unionizing efforts got started. Within the past 6 months they made a major change from all piece rate POV techs to mostly hourly COV techs. The rates they were paying new hires was $10 per hour. Two years ago you were eligible for benefits after 90 days, then they changed it to 6 months. In the past year they changed the way they calculate vacation time and wound up cheating a number of techs out of time they thought they had already earned. BTW B&A’s Gadsden techs voted in the union (CWA) this past September. If B&A has since increased any pay rates it is likely a direct result of the union presence in one of their offices.
This is CABL.com posting #161501. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQa1
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by sumahit
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV sumahit 2/14/2006 6:43:00 PM