Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

sumahit quote #1
"ah....,
and there is where you are wrong Uboat."

???Where am I wrong?

sumahit quote #2
"isn't there a prevailing wage with a union?yes there is."

I know of no prevailing wage with the CWA concerning HSP satellite installers. If a union represents the techs a panel of union member techs would be elected to sit at the bargaining table and negotiate wages with the company.

sumahit quote #3
"so you see, other opinions do matter."

In this discussion only the opinions of the actual HSP employees who are or were eligible to vote either for or against a union are the ones that matter.

sumahit quote #4
"and heres the thing evryone is entitled to thier own opinion. who's to say they are wrong?and if thiers is what makes yours right?"

I don't deny that everyone is entitled to have an opinion, but just because they have an opinion does not mean they are entitled to chime in as far as this discussion is concerned. A manager or contractor has just as much right to weigh on this subject as a person who works directly for a union (I am not talking about a union member), which is really no right at all. The managers & union have their own avenues to deliver their information, but where this current discussion is concerned it should be an open exchange of information an opinion between the HSP techs. Leave the managers & union paid employees out of it. And the contractors also because as I said a contractor is not elibible for representation from a union, if they are too numb between the ears to get that then how they ever got their contracts in the first place is beyond me.

Okay that said, I'll take answers to the following four questions from anyone who feels the need to chime in (satellite techs both HSP & contractor, managers, cable dawgs, grey haired grannies and whoever). these are simple "yes" or "no" questions but if you'd like to justify your answers then go ahead, just stick to the subject and to the facts.

1. "Do you feel it is the right of an HSP tech to be able to vote for a union if they so desire?"

2. "Do you think the HSP companies' are treating the techs fairly by cutting average weekly pay rates by as much as 50% and raising employee insurance contributions while at the same time increasing workloads and quotas?"

3. "Do you think a well treated employee has any need for union representation?"

4. "Do you think a poorly treated employee has any need for union representation?"

This is CABL.com posting #161463. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQap
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by sumahit
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV sumahit 2/13/2006 8:33:00 PM