Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Trey here is how I see it!

Trey it was only an example....But I will give you a situtation that did happen. 1991 working on a project out of town not my local. My company was only allowed a lead man at that certain time it was me. First man on the job was the shop stewert. 3 weeks into the project I had 8 men working under me. 1 of them wasn't cutting it to slow and really didn't have the knowledge that was needed to do the work. This person bought his book from the BA so he could work on union jobs. I took him a side told him that if he didn't start producing he would be replaced also informed the shop stewert on numerious occasions about this person. Nothing changed. I told my boss at the time that I was going to need a check for this guy so I could pay him 1 hr. before quitting time so he could gather all his tools and be laid off. Union rules state that if you lay a man off he gets paid 1 hr before quitting time which is fine. Told the shop stewert he said ok no problem. When I called the BA that afternoon to send me a replacement all hell broke loose....you can't replace this man with another man just because he's slower then the others and dosen't have as much experience!!! I was forced to take this man back by the union. After take it went down hill between me and the shop stewert. The BA had no problem with me replacing the guy but the shop stewert did came to find out later that this guy was his nephew! I know why we pay dues! Answer me this Trey why do certain guys always get called to work by the BAs to work..maybe is it because it's their buddies and the other guys have to sit in the hall? Trey a flat out fact is this if a man or woman union or non is a good worker that person will always have work!!! The good ones don't need protection because they are always being sought after and that's a fact!!! I'm not going to get into much more of this. I've been out of the Union for almost 10 years after I was told that I couldn't tell a certain trade what to do who was working for me unless I carried that book and I was the owner of the company! I had to tell the forman and he would tell the guy what to do. You sound like a union org. which is fine....that's your right that is the last that I will say on the union matter. Happy New Year to everyone!
This is CABL.com posting #158713. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPr3
Posted in reply to: Re: Trey here is how I see it! by Trey9007
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Trey here is how I see it! Trey9007 1/1/2006 11:11:00 AM