Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Trey here is how I see it!

You hit on the nail old school. The goal of unions and labor laws for that matter, is to bring democracy to the work place. So many times in non-union shops you here bosses saying, "this is not a demcracy". But the labor laws in this country are set up to bring democracy in the work place. Thats why many of them fight like hell to keep unions out. They dont want a democracy in the work place.

In a situation mentioned by laham, the shop steward has 2 responsibities. First, he is there to make sure that the members right are in no way violated. Second he is there to make sure that the contract is not violated. The member may be guilty, but he has paid dues to be covered under the contract. That contract Im sure had a just cause article, and problem resolution language. In regular words, the contract gives him the right to due process. And part of due process is that he has representation during the process if he requests it. You can equate this to our justice system and defence lawyers. There can be a tape of someone doing a crimme, hell there can even be a confession, but that person is guranteed due process. That person is guaranteed a right to have council in this process. Its all the same principals of democracy. A shop steward cant stop a firing if the company has just cause. The problem usually comes when the company cant show just cause. A person may do something wrong all the time. Many time managers are too lazy or cocky to document it. Which weakens the possibility of them being able to show just cause.

Issues with people who have a record of bad attendance is usually a slam dunk case for managers. Its one of the easiest things to show just cause. So how this person mentioned by lahm was able to keep his job is quite puzzling. So I hope you give more information on this one. The bests of shop steward cannot change facts. And if a person has documented attendance issues hes usually gone.
This is CABL.com posting #158692. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPrI
Posted in reply to: Re: Trey here is how I see it! by oldschooldbstech
There are 0 replies to this message