Create your free account now! Sign up

Saddest thing I have ever seen

Like many of you, I too am on the road, dawgin' out of hotels, and tasteless food, missing my family, all in the name of that almighty $$$....but now I wonder..........listen to this....(it is even as I type breaking my heart)

I got up yesterday morning, and went thru my usual routine of getting the batteries off chargers, getting work orders, etc, etc. I was running a little late myself. I noticed that the guy 2 rooms down from me...(a fellow cable dawg)...didn't seem up and about yet. He had been there a few days and we managed to share a few war stories, have a few beers, laugh, and even console eachother, in a weird kind of way I guess. If you are on the road, OR NOT, you know that almost comraderie you have with folks in this business. I didnt think too much of it, until he didn't come get his WO's. So, I went and knocked at his door, and called, all with no answer. I kind of thought to myself...here is another installer that done got lazy. I had noticed previously that he seemed a bit depressed and knew that he and his wife had recently seperated, (here at the holidays). We all have our stories for sure, but I just kinda sympathized with him, and went on. Nonetheless, I got back to the motel about 4:30 and found a gauntlet of police and emergency vehicles at the motel...all converged around HIS room. I was a little overwhelmed, and I saw the Motel manager talking to some officers and pointed at me when I drove in. I went on to park and noticed that the SUITS were coming toward me. Im thinking...."I did pay those parking tickets, right?" Well, they came up to me, and asked did I know the man in room 119. Of course, I said yes, and they asked if I could come with them. I was like NO! I asked them what was wrong. With a blank stare, and with absolutely NO emotion that detective looked at me squarely and said, "It seems that fella killed himself." I said, you are kidding me! Well, they kinda corralled me toward his room. They stopped to ask me the usual questions, like how long had I known him, etc. I politely co-operated with them , then they wanted me to identify HIM. I was like WHOA! The detective went on to tell me that this fellow, had no ID's on him, and nothing in his luggage, and that his tags on the truck were registered to a company in Seattle, that they could not get in touch with. But, that he did have an appointment book in his room. They asked me to look at the appt. book. I did!!! And on page one...where you fill in your name address, etc, etc., and where that section asks for emergency contact information....it simply said....NO ONE TO NOTIFY! I looked thru the rest, but could offer them nothing to help. I ID'd the body, and confirmed it was Luke. Talk about doing something that will wrench your gut....that will do it. Long story made short.....He killed himself, because he and his wife were estranged, because she left him, because he was on the road so much. Folks, I am NOT telling you all this so we can debate the stupidity of suicide, but rather the importance of keeping our priorities straight, whether on the road, or off; and to never take for granted the very things we treasure the most. For me, I called my kids, my wife and my mom, a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time...just to say I love you, and for them to say those words to me. Take Care my Dawgs!!!! Love you all
This is CABL.com posting #158313. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPlB
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Saddest thing I have ever seen oldschoolgal 12/27/2005 1:58:00 PM
Re: Saddest thing I have ever seen sumahit 12/25/2005 3:36:00 PM
Re: Saddest thing I have ever seen bushmaster 12/25/2005 3:17:00 PM