Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: HSP's Taking To Much P.S.

I am not a union rep. I am just somebody who feels that if his fellow workers come together we can provide for our families better. I have stated my work experience in a previous post.

As you can see in the contract I posted and with more info thats out there. The RBOCs and the unions have been prepared for competition ever since the telecom act of 1996. In the contract you will see a memorandum on this very topic. And as you see, the contract goes to 2009 and each year wage increases are given. And no concessions were made. As a matter of fact they got stronger language concerning job security.

You have to remember, labor endorsed competition in the telecom industry. Its good for consumers. If you were to research FCC and congressional hearings on the topic you would see that CWA president Morty Bahr was very vocal about endorsing competition. Remember this was all started during the Clinton administration (a friend of labor). It was always hoped that competition would speed the deployment of new services which would create more jobs in the industry. Which it has. Its just I don't think anybody thought that Comcast and other cable companies would get techs to install these new emerging technologies for 13/hr. Especially since techs installing POTS earn double that. So please do not continue to think that labor is not an endoser of competition, because if you were to do some research you will see thats not true.

I don't have any numbers, but both the CWA and IBEW have had some recent success with cable workers. You could probably get some numbers from them or their websites. I wish we would get organized, yes. But thats not why I'm so vocal. I just get sick of hearing all the false information.

If you want to know the truth the following may get you started:

http://cwa-union.org/issues/telecom/une/Bahr96TelcoAct.asp
http://www.cwa-union.org/issues/telecom/fcc/bahrbagte.htm
This is CABL.com posting #158252. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPkC
Posted in reply to: Re: HSP's Taking To Much P.S. by Pressure Tap
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: HSP's Taking To Much P.S. Trey9007 12/25/2005 11:59:00 AM