Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: drop wire

Alright, time to shed some light. If the braid touches the center conductor and is sticking out of the botton of the fitting there WILL BE leakage and probably ingress (remember there has to be a foreign signal present in order for ingress to get in). Leakage is caused by an open signal potential. If the fitting isn't tightly sealed because there is braid preventing the seal it could leak, but probably not. However, if it isn't tightly sealed you will probably get water in the fitting sometime down the road (if it's in a location that will be exposed to excessive moisture). The braid sticking out in itself will not cause ingress. It does act as an antenna but the braid and the center conductor are 2 separate circuits seperated by the dielectric in the cable. One will not interfere with the other unless they are touching or the signal getting in is abnormally strong enough to break the barrier that the dielectric provides. Also, any signal that is picked up by the braid won't go very far because the braid is used as a ground path and the signal will be grounded. Remember, RF is small voltage and the voltage will always travel the path of least resistance (the ground in this case). However, I do recommend keeping the braid unexposed at all times to prevent the chance of any of the possibilities I explained above. I hope this helped.
This is CABL.com posting #155759. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mOGp
Posted in reply to: Re: drop wire by DZW!
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: drop wire DONE RIGHT 11/13/2005 8:20:00 AM