Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Fiberglass skin

I've been working with fiberglass since 1971 , I started working at Boats Inc. in Morehead City N.C. at 14.5 yrs of age . I can build anything out of fiberglass that you can dream up. From the plug to the mold to the product. Three years ago during my last x-ray for a broken collar bone due to a scooter crash while working in Bremuda I learned I have fiberglass x fibers in my lungs , that was a terribble thing to hear from the radiologist , sooner or later I,m sure that will take me out. To answer your question, If you are working with glass they make disposable white suits that can be purchased at an automotive paint dealer that will prevent it getting on your skin . You can put on green playtex gloves and use 2" masking tape on your wrist at the glove and the suit to prevent its touching your skin , also be sure to wear a particle mask to prevent breathing airborne fibers. If you have fiberglass in your skin take a very hot shower , just as hot as you can stand , the hotter the better,use a wash rag and plenty of soap ,rub the rag as hard as you can against your skin only in the direction that your hair grows ,never up and down or side ways , only in the direction your hair lays, other wise it will only embeed the fibers. The hot water will open your pores, the rag will loose the fibers, the water will wash them away, after you finsh this ,start running the water cold until your body temp. comes down to the point you are chilled. When you get out dry off only in the direction the hair lays. Don't wash the clothes you had on with any others you will spread the fibers to your other clothes. Be sure to use fabric softner on the clothes to soften the fibers. When you finish you shower after your dried , try to stay in cold AC ,you can use medicated powder to help control the itch. Very important . Do not scratch, it will only make matters worse . Some people are highly allergic to fiberglass , and then there are those like myself that can lay down and roll around in it without a problem. Fiberglass insulatin has a nasty itch, much like spun glass , definately wear a suit or at least long sleeves and a mask when working with or around it in an attic . I hope my years of experience working with glass helps you.
(usa) "WHITFIELD"(sunny)
I'd rather live my life believeing there is God and die to find out their isn't . Than to live my life as if their wasn't God and die to find out there is ! WHITFIELD
This is CABL.com posting #154352. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mOjI
Posted in reply to: Fiberglass skin by 1putthood
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Fiberglass skin johngault 10/20/2005 7:58:00 AM
Re: Fiberglass skin MicroMan 10/19/2005 9:50:00 AM