Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: no union

Don't get me wrong, there is some merit to what you have said. But you have to understand , It's not the rule. When I was doing long haul up in New Jersey on union property, they insisted we had to have union representation. That means we had to employ one of they're members at they're rates. That was $42.00 an hour for someone that knew absolutley nothing about fiber. Anything over 8 hours per day was $63.00. All this clown did was complain to his shop steward because we wouldn't let him operate a fusion machine. If you have no experience, you start at the bottom, you dig up the hand hole, you prep the cables, you clean out the trucks, you start at the bottom. The shop steward disagreed, his statement was," I can teach a man how to splice fiber in 2 days." So much for quality. I could go on and on with examples one after another, but what would be the point? My experience has been that unions promote non productivity indirectly. Not intentionaly. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. I'm unit splicer, if I was in a union and had no incentive to produce, I would probably slip into the same "fur lined rut". It would be a comfortable rut but a rut all the same. My experience and my opinion.
This is CABL.com posting #154315. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mOi7
Posted in reply to: Re: no union by voices
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: no union DONE RIGHT 10/18/2005 7:49:00 PM