Create your free account now! Sign up

OLD SCHOOL IN Memory of Wayne Blanchard

The other day I read Doug Cohen's response to my post will work for food . It started me remembering Wayne Blanchard. Wayne was as hard a man , as I ever worked for, in this industry. I started in 1979 for American Spliceco Inc. out of my home town of Morehead City N.C. . Wayne was the project mgr. for Spliceco in Cinn. Ohio . Back in the old days you had to be hard , the industry didn't have winers , buckett babies , hacks or thieves . The last job I had before starting cable was a professional at Art Stocks Playpen South in Ft. Lauderdale Florida , needless to say I needed a harda.s.s to keep me in check ,and Wayne Blanchard was defeniatly that man. I was bigger than Wayne , but he never backed down. I must truely say if not for him , I would not be in this industry today. When I started cable you had to walk a line taught by Old school . If you couldn't cut it , you were gone . I began in this industry as a a splicer , at that time to keep a job for ASI you were required to hit a minimum of 16 sticks a day . That was 32 taps on a dual cube system . I remember wanting to quit in the first week and Wayne saying just give it 30 days . We didn't use bucket trucks back then , you had to start as a tapper ,(green bean) four of us loaded into a van ,our equipment already built , as it was all new build , we would ride down the street dropping your equipment at the bottom of the pole , 3 men dropped out and the fourth drove the van to a central location where everyone would meet at the completion of their run. Your westcoast , bashlins , belt and safety were your best friend . I recall when we'd stop for lunch . We would go some where like McDonalds , you never took off your hooks , I can still hear the sound they made as four of us walked on the tile floors. Everyone in the restaurant would stare as if you had on braces for polio , but when they found out we were the ones bringing cable to their town it was almost like being famous , the way people treated you . It was the norm when you were hanging on a stick to have someone bring you out a glass of tea, or offer you something to eat. The ladies use to drive by tute the horn , and stop to chit chat. It made you proud to be a cable man. You took pride in your work . We were all brothers an sisters that helped each other out back then. God how this industry has changed . I feel certain if Wayne was still alive he would be dissapointed in our industry today. Many people say our industry can't change. I can only say can't never did anything . The word for it is "won't" . I think of people like Martin Luther , he had a dream. How about the gentleman that did the faces of Mt. Rushmore , he died trying , his family followed through with his dream and completed the task. Nothing good ever came easy, if we turn our back on the Task we can't accomplish anything . I,m sure when Wayne Blanchard signed the contract for Texas , the largest ever signed in the USA at that time he had no negative thoughts . He was a man I am proud to call one of my mentors in this industry. God rest his soul. Thanks for your inspiration.
"WHITFIELD"(sunny)(usa)
I'd rather live my life believeing there is God and die to find out their isn't . Than to live my life as if their wasn't God and die to find out there is ! WHITFIELD
This is CABL.com posting #154176. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mOgS
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: OLD SCHOOL IN Memory of Wayne Blanchard Wolf1 10/16/2005 6:42:00 PM
Re: OLD SCHOOL IN Memory of Wayne Blanchard Buffalo Chips 10/16/2005 6:11:00 PM
Re: OLD SCHOOL IN Memory of Wayne Blanchard jameshughessr 10/16/2005 4:54:00 PM