Create your free account now! Sign up

mapping / design rates

I know many of us have been doing this kind of thing for a long time, on-site mapping and design. You know the drill, you get handed some maintenance or simple plant extension based on a tech's map. When you get out there, you realize it is 5 or 6 locations deep from any active plant. So you break out the walk wheel, get out your spec book and head to the local diner for breakfast and some old school 3 pilot design.

The MSO I am working for asked for a line item to catch this kind of thing so I can just bill it right along with my normal splicing / activation / construction work.

If anyone has any feedback, it would be most appreciated. Even better would be a rate based on other rates from the same system. I like to use strand placement and splicing rates as a scaling indicator myself.

I'm not concerned with the full blown design from one of the CAD systems. When I finish I normally just turn in a hand drawn MDU type of inset map that the system can integrate anyway they see fit. Usually it ends up getting sent out to whoever is doing the actual design updates and added to the existing designs. Because of this, I will usually find the closest "known" output such as an active of some sort and work the pilots from there.

Thanks for any useful responses. If you don't want to post your reply here, feel free to PM me on this.

On a sort of related note, I have been working on a simple RF calculator for this. It takes the known specs for a system and allows me to run these numbers without having to do it with a calculator. If anyone is interested in this type of thing let me know what you would find useful and I'll see about integrating it. It is still in a very rough stage but does run on the windows desktop using some open source tools.
This is CABL.com posting #153856. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mObI
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: mapping / design rates johny1107 10/24/2005 8:53:00 PM