Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Support the Employee Free Choice Act.

Answers

1. Employee free choice act is a piece of legislation geared towards taking the intimidation factor out of NLRB elections. The National Labor Realtions Act (NLRA) has some rules but the penalties for breaking them are weak. So weak that companies break them and just pay the fine, because the fines are low. This legislation is looking to increase the penalties when anyone violates the NLRA. Just like you say you voted your concience and voted no. This bill is trying to make sure everyone has the same oppurtunity you did to vote their concience.

2. Employees are voting to be recognized as a bargaining unit. When recognized as a bargaining unit by the NLRB, they are able to CHOOSE an agent to represent them. When they make their CHOICE the company and union are to bargain in good faith. And heres the kicker. If the employees dont like the services of their agent, guess what. They can get VOTE them out, just like they VOTED them in. BUt its their CHOICE, and only theirs.

3. I didnt really understand this question, but Ill try.I think you were saying that the employees are only voting on unions. If so, thats not true. When most people think unions, they think Teamsters, CWA, IBEW etc....But actually employees can CHOOSE whoever they please to represent them. Remeber, the employees are the union. They decide who represents their union. It could be 1 individual. Or it could be a large organization. Its their CHOICE. Most CHOOSE organizations because they have the best success record. But my point is that they do have a CHOICE.

Now maybe you can aswer a question for me. Employees have the right to organize. Is it wrong to create an enviroment to vote in that is free from intimidation, so workers can vote their conciense. Remember, no union can come into a workplace unless the employees feel the union is needed and vote them in. SO if the employees feel they want or dont want a union why not let them vote free of intimidation.
This is CABL.com posting #152809. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mNUP
Posted in reply to: Re: Support the Employee Free Choice Act. by diddler
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Support the Employee Free Choice Act. midwest fiber guy 9/19/2005 9:15:00 PM