Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: unbelievable

Thanks John,

I always enjoy tallking with you, too.  I am thinking this is all temporary.  We may need to change a little and learn a few new tricks to keep up, all in all, though, when moneys tight and the jobs seem scarce it is easy to over analyze our situations.  It is aggravating when our prices aren't what they should be, not even close to what we have seen before and in the moment of aggravation I see contractors settling for something I have not had to settle for, yet.  I want to be angry with the customers, the industry and myself but what usually happens is my anger is misplaced, and sometimes directed to others who are like me, only trying to see through the next week.  

It is something I have noticed while traveling for my job, too.  When I am working in an area that has large growth, 25% or better oer year, then the people are all friendlier, women are warmer and the beer is colder.   There is more money where there is growth, and where there is more money, people are happier.  When I roll back into the midwestern farming community that I grew up in it gets a little clanish, people are not as hopeful and are wanting to blame anyone for what they feel is a sorry lot in life.  People are more suspicious of one another.   This all may sound crazy, I know.   Remember when the jobs were plentiful, and the money was fair?  The conversation on here may have been somewhat the same, only phrased or worded differently, instead of telling some they were wrong, or stupid  or a liar....we all spent every key stroke telling everyone that would listen how good we are.  If there were two hundred linesmen on here everyone of them knew they were the best and it didn't bother them to hear someone else claim  to be the best, either....we were all happy being the best we ever met, and were glad to be sharing time with the other best in the business.  I have to laugh  about it now, I do remember being irritated and out of patience with all the best damn linesmen in the world, hanging out and bragging...whatever you do do not give them alcohol!!! 

Yes, I do remember, and I miss those days very much.   You know what, I am going to tell you about one of the best damned linesmen I ever met.   No, not me.  Seriously, this guy was good, and knew how to make people work harder then they ever thought they could.  Well on top of being one of the best linesmen this country had ever gave birth to, all kinds of other challenges highlighted many of our gatherings at the spool burning campfires, the bars, the hotels, you name it, I am am sure you all remember it, too.  Anyway, This linesmen says he will bet money that he can piss over the top of his T-40.  Try it, right now try to piss over you car, or if you can, just pee to the roof of your house.  This man will piss over your bucket truck and for enough beer he might piss over your garage...seriously.  All the way over the top....pee-ing.   He can do it!  I think he peed over a couple garages and anything else that somebody would bet against.  I can't tell you how he does it, that is his secret, but he did it.  This guy impressed people every where we went.  Maybe  only a bunch of linesmen and friends could really appreciate that much fun.  Those were the times that keep me hanging in here today.  It will be back, and we may be fortunate enough to catch one more wave.  Don't forget to have a really great time with the guys you work with, and do everything you can to force them to work harder then they ever knew they could, make men out of them....linemen.   And for those who choose to drink, remember the linesmen never misses work no matter how much he drank, get up and go even if it kills you.  It used to cost us beer every time someone skipped a pole on us, or if the grunt didn't beat you to your pole with hardware, he paid.

Well, it is late and Iam ramblin.  Let's hang tough, men and women of Cable.  Don't be afraid to ask for a little help or a lead on a job if you need one.  Most linesmen and their families have always been the type of people to pay forward, u'do brix, is what some native americans used to call it.  But when you are helping others out, no matter what the need, we are paying ahead for all of us.  We all become healthier.

Good health and much cheer to everyone.   If you remember  a linedawg and his family down south around the storm area it would not hurt to give them a call, if possible, make sure they got what they need.  It is a very worthwhile way to help get our minds off our own problems,

See you all tomorrow, Petergunn.

P.S.  Jerry & Mo, thanks for helping me become what I am and the memories.

Where there are no alternatives, there is no problem...Petergunn Lookstwice-2001.
This is CABL.com posting #152709. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mNTd
Posted in reply to: Re: unbelievable by 6dart4
There are 0 replies to this message