Create your free account now! Sign up

Future of Cable?

Hi guys,
I'm a newbie to the field and to this website. I actually work from home full-time sub-contracting hybrid fiber/coax drafting work using Lode Data and ACAD.
I've been doing this for about a year and a half. Before that I was drafting for a civil engineering firm.
I love this type of work and I'm more interested in cable than anything I've ever worked at, but I'm still trying to learn about the field and what it's future is. There are a lot of things I don't know/understand as of yet.
I hear all kinds of stories, some supporting the cable industry, some saying it is only a matter of time before it's time is up.
I know that eventually everything will be going the route of fiber to the home or FTTx, but what I don't understand, being so new to this field, is how long will this take? What will this mean for me? Will I be able to use any of the knowledge I'm gaining now in drafting fiber/coax networks when this transition takes place? What steps should I take now to ensure I'm ready for the industry when it changes?
I guess where is the cable industry going in general? :)

Any of you guys with similar situations/experience that can elaborate on any of this will be appreciated.

Thanks

This is CABL.com posting #146112. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mMaO
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Future of Cable? exabyte 5/11/2005 6:34:00 AM
Re: Future of Cable? barkdog 5/10/2005 11:01:00 PM
Re: Future of Cable? Emerger 5/10/2005 7:35:00 PM