Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Proper grounding (DTV install)

Well i guess i'll be the Black Sheep and tell the truth. Alot of primes are giving you "messenger" wire so that you can attatch a static ground. They call the messenger "cable with ground wire attatched". That messenger wire is steel with a copper coating, NOT N.E.C.!!! Directv is the worst about this. As far as Dish network goes, they dont care, its up to the retailer because they are the ones who are responsible ultimately. For instance, you install and dont ground, two weeks later they take a strike (a hit is a signal sent from the earth station, lightning "hit" NO) You have already went to the next job site in Hobokin B.F.D. They cant find you and they wont bother, the retailer has insurance to cover that. And finally a little #10 A.W.G. groung wire is not going to stop a lightning strike, the question of interference is out because satellite doesn't interference unless its terrestrial. You install an 18 volt D.C. lightning rod on top of a 2 story house and potential goes out the window, the fact is lightning is going to hit where it wants and what it wants, and the # 10 wire is not going to stop it. The best protection is a good surge protector. Show me lab work, I'll show field work. The fact is that on satellites ground wires don't mean S*@!.. The satellite industry adopted the N.E.C code for cable because there weren't any codes in place when the 18" dish evolved. All you directv techs' your "static ground DOESN'T WORK!!!!! Thats steel wire think about it. Just words of wisdom from an owl dawg. Later, Red(snipper)(usa)
This is CABL.com posting #144296. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mLHw
Posted in reply to: Proper grounding (DTV install) by zss tech
There are 0 replies to this message