Create your free account now! Sign up

AC on in-house cable

Is there a certain amount of voltage, backfeeding from the ground in a customers house, that will cause a poor reception on the low band? Numerous techs, on numerous occassions, went to a house where upon arrival the lower channels were extremely snowy and the modem was offline. After going outside and verifying good signal at the groung block we went back inside to find a clear picture. This haappened to everyone who went there. By this appointment, everything in the house had been replaced. There was no ingress. I measured 28 VAC backfeeding on the cable from the customers TV set. I didn't think this would cause a problem. However, another tech went there and said no voltage is allowed on in-house cable (nearly impossible in older homes). He left the tv unplugged and we haven't been back there. Since then i went to a house with 70 VAC present on the cable. The customer never had a problem with the internet or their picture quality??? I was there to replace a remote. How would 28 volts at one house cause such a problem while 70 volts at another was fine?   

This is CABL.com posting #143564. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mLvI
Posted in reply to: Re: On V-groove vs Core alignment by Fiber Guy
There is 1 reply to this message
AC voltage on in-house lines ewb240sx 3/17/2005 5:43:00 PM