Create your free account now! Sign up

Call me a quitter, but the tough guy walks away

I guess the gas light techs before the lightbulb came around would have had a web site like this.

I always knew the gravy wouldn't last, but I never thought installs would fall so low. Most companies I respect have just folded, instead of dragging out a slow death.

Tried system work. We couldn't pay for travel, trucks, or tools. Barely broke even on payroll and insurance, so something broke down or was lost or anything (frozen conduit, broken pipe, print wrong, bad equipment, bad cable, bad weather, bad design, no power, anything within and beyond our control) we went red on the job.

Tried installs, but prices are half what they were. AND THE COMPUTER WORK WAS NEVER THE HARD PART! The hardest part is getting in the damn truck and going to the next job. Downtime. We used to be able to adjust for it because we were paid enough so if you hustled, you made out. If you dogged it you were cutting your own throat, so who cared. Now you have to speed to pay for gas and groceries. New tires go on the credit card. Screw that. Not for the headaches and exposure we subject ourselves to as subconctractors. Not in any trade.

Give me a goddamn teleporter and I'll do modem installs for 20 bucks. You've got to be kidding me. EVERY OTHER BUSINESS CHARGES A MINIMUM TRIP CHARGE OF 50 BUCKS FIRST HOUR AND I'M SUPPOSED TO DO IT FOR FREE?

Call me a quitter, but sometimes its the tuff guy who walks away.
This is CABL.com posting #143556. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mLvA
Posted in reply to: What and Where did this industry go wrong by jcabledude
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Call me a quitter, but the tough guy walks awa cablemn86 3/17/2005 12:34:00 PM