Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: VoIP and alarm systems

One of the first problems is the way most most VOip systems are set-up. If you look at the installation of an alarm system you'll notice it connects directly to the block where the incoming telco service is coming into the premises thus giving the alarm system priority and a dedicated line should it need it.
When most VOip systems are set-up the installer in most cases uses a jumper from the back of the modem to the nearest phone jack and possibly use a splitter if there is a phone thats used in that room and then just do a hard disconnect from the telco at the block.
Problem there is the alarm system is now sitting somewhere in the phone system other than 1st in the circut (dedicated) which causes problems, and alot of alarm systems send data over the phone line which is not possible as of yet with most VOip systems.

Now unfortunately the system I work in does ask the sub if they use an alarm system, but does not inform the sub of the problems that can and generally will arise. The alarm eventually starts to give false calls and the alarm co. tells the sub that there is a problem with the VOip, and then in turn the sub calls the provider, who in turn generate a trouble call that comes back to haunt the contractor as of course the cable co. will not admit fault as they can simply charge back the contractor for an improper installation.
The first thing I ask in a private home is if they have an alarm system. mainly because I want them to call the alarm co. and tell them the line will be off momentarily, and that they need to keep the land line for the alarm system only. So they have to call their telco and have the services downgraded for just a basic line.
At this point I either get a simple "OK" or the sub gets miffed at having to keep the telco line but goes ahead with it, or simply downs the job because of the lack of info from sales. This way I either get paid for the job, or I get a signature and don't have to worry about getting charged back more than the job pays simply because sales or cust. serv. is omitting facts.
This is CABL.com posting #142795. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mLjj
Posted in reply to: Re: VoIP and alarm systems by Dcableservices
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: VoIP and alarm systems dw51301 2/25/2005 11:49:00 PM