Create your free account now! Sign up

They only pay piece work to rip you off.

Rebuild has been dying since the day we started I guess. All work is end point now. Its going to take a lot to supplant HFC.
I always ran my end of things with the attitude I would be out of work in two weeks. Low debt, low expenses, save capitol. I was fortunate to be part of some really juicy projects, but I still showed up for easements and cleanup. The money doesn't ruin everyone. When things used to slow down I had the choice of traveling or I could always go back to installs and make ok money untill it picked up again or when I finally felt like growing roots again.

I can do installs very well. But now that the prices have been lowered, what I can't do is make enough to justify the expense, time and effort to do a good job.

Someone did have a good point. Some of the prices are lower because the work has become easier (modems, dtv)
Gas is higher
Insurance is higher
Vehicles are more expensive
Sales people still sell HSD to folks who don't even have a computer.

A sub who's making 1000 dollars a week, sitting in a hotel room, is in reality making less than 10 dollars an hour. 10 bucks an hour is ok to stock shelves, pump gas, or serve coffee. There is no other trade (if we have the pride to call ourselves as such) that pays so low for the risks we take. Its not enough for a trustfull person doing work in a person's home. We're the MSO's representive to the customer and we're treated like a replaceable hinderance. Try hard and they still lump us in with the scum.

It was -2 degrees today. -24 with the wind. I was one of the only faces in the warehouse today. But I guess I'm just a whiner

People in a fish processing plant can make a 1000 bucks a week. 6 bucks an hour for 100 hours. WhOOWEE big money!(tongue)
This is CABL.com posting #140851. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKNX
Posted in reply to: Re: You sit in a hotel room for a grand a week?!!! by Pressure Tap
There are 0 replies to this message