Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: all hooks

As fjjk said, "at 250' in the air, you go up in the morning and come down when the job is done." Whatever time that might be. Especially if some know-it-all does not put a swivel hook on the rope you are using to 'tag-along' rollers. My one-and-only claim to a 250' was an international waterway crossing in Sunset Isle, N.C. At that time, maritime law said you had to be at least 250' above the high-tide line. So, 250' up (changing safeties 3 times to accomodate pole narrowing, safety and unsafety every 50' after the first 100' so you can climb over down guys), 500' span, frame pole using old elecco metal collars, wrap strand around 11/2 times, use 2 bitch clamps (bolts placed alternately) to secure, pull cable (.750, .500), lash. Should take what? 2/3 hours!!!!!!!!???????? Ehhh, wrong answer. Remember the know-it-all. Fastened the tag-along directly to the sled. I will not insult a good lineman's intelligence by stating the already known fact that cable has a natural twist when being spooled. Pull out say, 200', stop sled to lengthen pull rope and presto, magic. Watch the sled wrap a dozen or so times around the strand, taking with it, of course, the cable. Now, let the fun begin. First, shout for your bro, we'll call him Brody, to get baby (sawed off pump) out of the truck and kill so called know-it-all, we'll call him Dale. {late 70's, early 80's was not too much like the old west in the catv business. You f@#$ up, you die}. Second, since bolster's chairs were for women and crybaby's you slid your '88' down to the middle of your arse, ran your safety through both 'd' rings and attached hooks (one on left, one on right side of strand), place handline on strand on outside of safety hooks (this to have help from ground hand at pulling you), and hand-over-handed it out to sled. It wasn't until about the 4th or 5th beer that the stupidity sets in. Until that time it was just bravado, being a DDDDAAAAWWWWGGGG. But why was it noone else was in a rush to hit the pole that know-it-all had now departed from. (not departed in that sense. departed as in left.). As also stated before, would do it today but would have to call 911 to get me unfroze from midspan and to get me down. But, oh what memories you brought back. A simple "thanks" just seems so inadequate.
This is CABL.com posting #140316. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKFk
Posted in reply to: all hooks by cabledog609
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: all hooks sccsinc 1/8/2005 9:50:00 PM
Re: all hooks 1st to Kink 1/8/2005 9:11:00 PM