Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: 2005 Vs 1995

What is your expertise in this industry?
Coax splicing, mdu work, post/prewires, installations, and troubleshooting anywhere between the sat itself thru the system to the tv set.

What is your experience level?
Guess I'm a young pup compared to a few of ya here, only 15 years in catv with prior networking experience.

How do you feel about the shape of this industry?
On the contracting side of things not worth a dam. A look at some of my older posts will explain this clearly.

As a whole; How do we improve it?
Quality craftsmanship. Also some how weed out the hacks where their word and their contracts are worthless.

As an individual; How do we improve it?
See previous answer. Basically I'm done in the field as far as catv.

Do you think it will improve , level off, or get worse?
I believe that has a lot to do with geographics. I'm sure there are some areas that don't have the issues that are happening here. For here I see it either leveling off but more then likely getting worse.

What would be your suggestion to a young man (woman) entering this industry?
Learn as much as you can about wireless because the technology as a whole is aiming toward that direction. Whether it be communications or entertainment wireless will take over at some point. Just looking at the dbs business compared to catv is a sign of things happening since say 1994 or so. It will continue as dbs and telco keep bundling.

How do you feel about today vs 1995?
In 95 I was a young cable sub contractor just learning to stretch my wings after spending a few years with a catv mso inhouse.

What would you predict for the next 10 years?
WIRELESS. Cable is going to have to be very ingenious and create some new things that only cable can do. They can no longer rest on their laurels of being the broadband leader as telcos keep improving their methods with adsl etc. Also catv is going to have to work on cost. Just today a buddy was telling me of switching from cable broadband to a telco adsl because of cost. He went from $49.95 to $29.95 and said that the difference was barely noticable.

Me personally I've always been an avid reader and have tried to learn all I can in what I'm doing. I've been making it a point to learn all I can on the wireless side of things such as sat, cell, etc. The future has always been there but I've just had my head stuck in a ped splicing coax..lol. To me that's where it's going to be and catv will be at the continuing loss that it has been dealing with for the last few years.

After having a total wipe out of my company I worked for because of MSO's and contractors not paying I'm moving on best I can. Hopefully 2005 will be a bit kinder for me but I really hopes it's not in catv.
This is CABL.com posting #140164. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKCS
Posted in reply to: 2005 Vs 1995 by lostlineman2
There are 0 replies to this message