Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: 2005 Vs 1995

As a lineman since 1981. Ive seen many ups & downs in the last 10 years. Where we use to get a piece rate per item that we do. Now it is being paid more on a composite price. Where a trunk set up use to cover 2000' we barely get 1200' per set up.Where an average fiber pull was 7500" or better, now you are lucky to get 2000' from node to node. Rural running// As bigger systems buy out smaller systems this too is being eliminated--2 existing fibers can eliminate 20 miles of coax. Yes todays lineman works harder for the footage than we did 10 years ago.
As a whole//this industry must reduce/// As long as 100 contractors under bid each other , The systems will pay less///As long as subcontractors under bid each other, The contractor will pay less. And down the line as long as the lineman settles for less , you in fact get less. Who is to blame????? I actually believe no one is . That times are rapidly changing and none of us are capable of changing fast enough. I also believe it will get worse, but it will level off, then improve. In 10 years I believe that there will not be Cable TV Companies, Internet Companies, Telephone Companies, Sattalite Companies. I think in 10 years we will see telecommunications as one, but asured are government will again break up the monopoly.
(bigsmile)(usa)
just an old lineman//grew up with a sawdust pumper in between my belt. chased a 1 ton for years run a T40-C(PRO)//I actually know how to operate it. never could figure out that sawdust pumper//he//he
This is CABL.com posting #140085. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKBB
Posted in reply to: 2005 Vs 1995 by lostlineman2
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: 2005 Vs 1995 lostlineman2 1/1/2005 12:44:00 PM