Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: you are full of ****

Spoken like a true captain of a sinking ship.

First Rule of management and leadership: your subordinates cannot function without your leadership, competent or not.
Corrolary to First Rule: ALL responsibility rests with your leadership and NONE with your subordinates.

MOST of the techs I have worked with over the years in satellite and cable are without a doubt down-for-the-job, in-your-face, git-r-done grunts who work very very hard, very smart, and for ever decreasing pay.

How many brain cells exactly are required for you managers out there that humans work on self-interest and that DISINCENTIVES are INCREASING and thus there is less and less reason to bother taking a job in cable?

We are expected to know an increasing amount of technical trivia regarding ever more complicated services, for an ever decreasing pay and for ever more abusive and derogatory management which treats us more like trained animals there to pull coax and nothing else, but hold us accountable for every little tiny thing.

I'm expected to do a single set new connect with new drop, new ground, new home run, for less than the kid down the street gets paid for shoveling ONE sidewalk?!

I'm expected to replace a drop across a busy thoroughfare and replace the ground for less than the kid down the street gets paid for delivering papers?!

I'm expected to chase a prewired outlet through four hidden splits back to demarc and check EVERY fitting and junction from 5Mhz to 867Mhz to make VOD, HSD, etc. work flawlessly AND to clean up the usual analog RF issues for less than the kid down the street gets paid for raking leaves in ONE yard?!

I really want to know what medications are being taken by people who think this is okay. I really want to know how little oxygen is reaching the brains of people who think that already pathetic pay rates being cut by as much as 50% is some sort of incentive to work harder than the sixty to eighty hours I already do.

The same goes for DBS. I'm expected to install four sets, brand new mast on a third story roof, ground it, and hook up two HDTVs for ONE QUARTER of what DirecTV is crediting the dealer AND expected to pay for ALL materials and drop supplies INCLUDING switches, diplexors and so on to make the customer happy?

We are either professional technicians with all the respect that should come with that or we are sub minimum wage monkeys and if the latter, then stop the b*tching about how we dress, smell, what time we show up, etc. YOU AREN'T PAYING US ENOUGH OR SHOWING US ENOUGH RESPECT TO HAVE ANY DESIRE WHATSOEVER TO IMPRESS YOU.

And if you managers out there were half the gods of leadership you like to think you are, and half as good at doing our jobs as you like to think, then PROVE IT. Drop your salaries and do the piecework we're expected to do at the standards we are expected to maintain and let's see you suck it up. Let's see you do four set dish installs for under $100 and digital new connects for under $30 in cable AND be expected to hit every time frame on schedule AND get every job done to tighter and tighter requirements AND do it in less and less time.

inthewoods was on target and then some.
This is CABL.com posting #139970. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKzK
Posted in reply to: you are full of **** by Sierra Comm.
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: you are full of **** Pressure Tap 12/30/2004 12:47:00 AM
Re: you are full of **** huntercomm 12/29/2004 8:10:00 PM