Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: A Locator that Shows Depth?

Did stint as a locator a few years back, I was waiting to see if anyone knew about the latest and greatest technology before responding. Basically, 30 inches means closer to 30 than 20. Somebody mentioned ground penetrating radar, would like to get ahold of that when it comes out?
Personally I prefer a metrotech 9890 great unit, and has different frequency selectors so if what your hooked up to doesn't like one tou can switch. RD's seem to be good units too, but I never liked em they read opposite to a 9890, and I couldn't get used to it.
Whatever locator I would stay with a manufacturer that specializes in locators, Vermeer & Ditch Witch make great digging equipment that's what they specialize in.
Couple other things, someone recommended a metro tech 810, it locates everything, sometimes all at once, in other words that frequency tends to bleed off on other things. Last time I used one I was hooked onto a transformer and bled right off onto a gas line. Cuss Cuss Cuss. Luckily I knew it and didn't take a hit. Somebody mentioned gas lines, the secret is that when you hook up to a meter the signal from the locator will turn towards to pressure side when it gets to the main-better ground on the high pressure end. You will need to hook on to the neighbor also to get the downstream side of the main. Good Luck(usa)
This is CABL.com posting #139720. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKvI
Posted in reply to: A Locator that Shows Depth? by Chopps
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: A Locator that Shows Depth? bridgehanger 12/18/2004 10:27:00 PM
Re: A Locator that Shows Depth? bridgehanger 12/18/2004 9:49:00 PM