Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Splicing in the Sleet and Rain?????

Well Said Doug, I remember deadlines real well. I think back to when American Spliceco would rent those big portable generator lights that make it day light at night. (DEADLINES) we got the job done. I remember two years ago,we were working Va. Beach for David Doole/GDI /Cox. It was Christmas we all went home for the holidays, I think David had about 50 splicers on his job, he ask us how many of us would be willing to go up to finish a big year end push, in PA as the system was being sold and the new owners would be taking posession of the system Jan.1 but the upgrade had to be finished in leiu of a purchase contract agreement. So about 15 trucks of us splicers cut Christmas with our familys and went to Pa and worked night and day to finish it so the deadline was met. We were promised and exorbinite amout for three days of work. I'll never forget working at night with the snow falling on us, Reminded me of Cinn. Ohio. Then there was last year at the hurricane in Richmond,we were on call 24/7 we had allready worked all day every one was tired , the call came in,and we had to roll,some big wig wanted his cable back on, Trees had taken down alot of spans, I was gald I was only there as a splicer, It was raining. I can still see a lineman from Texas going up the pole with the stand and cable on his shoulder,T-40 headlights the only light he had as when the strand had poped when a tree hit it, it had been pickled back together ,it was a easment pole not bucket accesable. After the linemen got it back in the air we had to splice it and get it on and fix the drops, parts of the cable wouldn't fly so the construction crews would have to pull in new cable and overlash it and then we would come back and tie it in. It was about 3am when we got back to the motel that night,soaking wet. It was that day I lost all respect for the managment on the side of the mother company. That entire job was a cluster f.u.ckkkkk waiting to happen. (Deadlines) whos, ones that upper management made up in theur mind(idea) . To that management here is your sign(upyours)!!
"WHITFIELD"(usa)(canada)(sunny)
I'd rather live my life believeing there is God and die to find out their isn't . Than to live my life as if their wasn't God and die to find out there is ! WHITFIELD
This is CABL.com posting #138145. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mJ6j
Posted in reply to: Re: Splicing in the Sleet and Rain????? by Wolf1
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Splicing in the Sleet and Rain????? Wolf1 11/10/2004 10:54:00 AM