Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: A Union Of Contractors/ Not A Union

Hey there, Jerry,

Over the years, I heard talk of folks wanting to start a "Cable TV Contractors Union".
With the way things are in our Industry, and a lack of any other better ideas, it sounds like a good idea.  But, I must say, that with all the talk about it, one thing is painfully evident:  Noone had ever made a solid move in that direction.

As LiveWire put it, some people would have to be willing to lose their Cable Career if they were to get involved with this to any useful degree.

MDUDirector also has a very valid point: Anytime we get into any kind of heavy discussion or a conflict of any kind with the MSO's,  the MSO's beat us all to hell.  And, as he points out, ( and rightfully so ) it's because we let them.  Now, if that's because we're afraid of to lose our jobs or whatever, I don't know, but it is something to be pondered.

And one more thing that was brought up in this thread: As RubberBand put it, Some turd will always be there to do the work cheaper.... It seems that there's always someone around who's will to under-bid everyone elso just to get the few pennies in his pocket.  Even at the risk of putting some well trained and valuable people outta work.

Now, baring all those things in mind, what's it gonna take to have someone who has the knowledge and talent to actually make some kinda move towards having a Cable Union become a reality...??

Whether this is called a "Union Of Contractors" or a "Cable TV Union" doesn't matter much I think....  It's still gonna raise hell with the "Powers That Be' when the idea becomes public.

So far, the only person who has said that they would become involved is CableHeather.
Now, before you get a rope and start looking for me and a tree, I haven't read every post on this topic in this thread in its entirety....   But I think I've gotten the ides of what folks are thinking.

This is gonna take people who are dedicated, alotta money and the stones to carry it through, among alotta other things.  Also, a ton af contacts who are willing to give advise and time to this.
This can't be looked at as a week-end project.... It's gonne ba a job or ( better yet ) a career to some of the folks who get involved with it.   This is gonna go on & on for a long time.. And then, if & when it succeeds, there are gonna have to be people who run and maintain it.   We're talking about alotta time, effort and people, not to mention, money is gonna have to come from somewhere fro not only support but for advertising and other ways to get the word out and to gain the interest of the right people and get them on board.....

I'd sure be willing to help with this in any way I can. 

=== If people are serious..!! ===

I'd hate to get involved with a half-assed project..... Especially one that's gonna get me black-balled from an industry that I love and have put 19 years into...!!!

I'm open to suggestions....

Later,
(-REDACTED-) ">SD

"He had that rare weird electricity about him. That extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving "normally". --- Hunter S Thompson - Fear And Loathing - 1972
This is CABL.com posting #136290. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mJCo
Posted in reply to: A Union Of Contractors/ Not A Union by deleted
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: A Union Of Contractors/ Not A Union cableho 9/28/2004 10:48:00 AM