Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time To Picket!!!

Ya know, it just dawned on me, that if ya look at the big picture, we're doing this to ourselves.  Maybe not you, in particular, or me, but contractors out there somewhere ARE DOING the work for less and less.
The MSO's sure the hell aren't gonna say "No" to the low bids that are tossed on their desks.

Maybe, if contractors, as a whole, were to agree that a certain price, for whatever activity we're talking about, is the bottom line.  No one would do it for less that that price.

Now, the only problem with that is, there's always gonna be at least one guy who does it anyway. 

Also, the contracts don't exactly have to be accepted by us if we don't agree with the terms.  Have the contracts written to where both parties agree.
If the contracts are too one sided, they can be disputed judiciously.

When the contract is terminated, someone has to give reasons why it was terminated.  My hair isn't gonna fly in court as a reason for sending me down the road.  It has to be terminated for good reason.  
If the reason for termination is not agreeable with you , then you have to fight it in court. 

All the contractors NOT going to court is why the MSO's keep winning.  If you win the case, the MSO has to pay all court costs plus YOUR attorney's fees. Not to mention damages.  If ya lose, hell, you were going bankrupt to begin with anyway.

Here, try this on for size..
This is from Barron's Law Dictionary:

Contract: "A promise, or set of promises, for breach of which the law gives a remedy, or the performance of which the law in some way recognizes as a duty."  286 N.W. 844, 846
"A transaction involving two or more individuals whereby each becomes obligated to the other, with reciprocal rights to demand performance of what is promised by each respectivly."
282 P. 2d 1084, 1088

Contractor:  "One who makes an agreement with another to do a piece of work, retaining in himself control of the means, method and manner of producing the result to be accomplished, neither party having the right to terminate the contract at will."
45 N.E. 2d 342, 345

So, you don't HAVE to sign the contract that they throw in front of you....

Later,
(-REDACTED-) ">SD

"He had that rare weird electricity about him. That extremely wild and heavy presence that you only see in a person who has abandoned all hope of ever behaving "normally". --- Hunter S Thompson - Fear And Loathing - 1972
This is CABL.com posting #131234. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mIiQ
Posted in reply to: Re: Time To Picket!!! by cable33
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Time To Picket!!! cable33 5/23/2004 10:29:00 PM