Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Need info from (real) old timers

I've seen um come and seen them go. Cable tv will always be here as long as someone can make a buck.As far as the current seemingly crisis it will end. It has happened for many reasons but the main cause behind todays current crisis is greed.Until 9/11 everything was balls to the wall WFO. This country believed it was untouchable.(9/11 was a wake up call. It brought many things to a hault,exposed many things that may not have been caught otherwise.It caused America to look within itself and make people accountable for their actions,to watch the bottom line. Its not just cable that has changed but everything across the board. I started cable in 79 and I will say alot of things have changed since that time. When we started back then your hooks were your best friend,if not for them you would not have made money. When I started for American Spliceco in Cinn. Ohio you had to hit at least sixteen sticks a day on a dual system,thats 32 taps to even qualify to work for them. Most of the people in cable were rough trade,bikers and so on. You knew what green was,the old timers sure as hell didn't let you forget it. You made life long friends,not the back stabbing acquaintences that there are so many of in the bis today. I won't say I am happy that things are how they are now but this recession will hopefully weed out some of the hacks and cry babies,and certainly will expose those that are in it to make money off of another mans sweat. Some out there cry about the current prices,yes they are low but there is still money to be made .When I started inhouse for Spliceco we were paid 350.00 a week plus per deium and bonus if you cut enough.When I started contracting prices were like 3.00 a tap and 3cents a foot . Hell I avereged over 1500.00 a week at those prices. Prices for construction back then were low also but we made money.I think back to hugo when it hit south carolina and going into the bank to deposit our checks,the look on the tellers face when thay saw the amount on the check,they would ask ,do you work in cable tv? How can my husband get into it? Yes we made good money. As to the future of cable in my opinion it will always be here as long as their is a need,and as long as we advance in techknowledgy their will always be upgrades and rebuilds.There will always be a place for dedicated professionals. What this industry needs now is a union of contractors not a contractors union. Its time for all the throat cutting and back stabbing to stop. I for one liked the old days like Trikedad said if you had a problem with someone you settled it in the parking lot, not a court room.If someone tried to beet you out of money, they had to leave town,they didn't just keep hiring new people and ripping them off because Old School took it to your ass not to court. Believe you me people had much rather go to court.Too some I may sound sinical or hard ,I am, the Old Timers and the business has made me that way. See Ya down the road. "WHITFIELD"(sunny)(usa)
I'd rather live my life believeing there is God and die to find out their isn't . Than to live my life as if their wasn't God and die to find out there is ! WHITFIELD
This is CABL.com posting #108286. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mCkI
Posted in reply to: Re: Need info from (real) old timers by trikedad
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Need info from (real) old timers scarecrow 6/3/2003 10:18:00 AM