Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Am I a Employee Or Sub-Contractor??????

First of all I would like to say that yes there are problems in this business. As a small prime I would like to put in my two cents. I have done the math for trying to make my subs regular employees. After all the cost for insurance, workmans comp, unemployment taxes, matching employee's social security taxes, bill backs from mso for line items you have paid subs for months ago who are no longer with you, building rental, cost and maintenance of equipment (drop plows etc.), and in my case paying a percentage for borrowing against invoices the mso takes months to pay you for so you can pay your people it would cut the pay of subs considerably. Actually they would probably be better off going to work for their local cable company as an employee. I realize there are primes or brokers out there that are overly greedy and trying to get rich from your sweat. But there are also a lot of us who, just like you, are trying to make a living. Many of us were subs all our lives who are now getting older and trying to make a living by using the connections and references we have obtained throughout those years and lining up work for subs we have hired. Someone has to do that or there would be no work. I guess the bottom line is if you want to be considered as an employee then you may want to hire on as an employee, but you will never recieve $1,000 to $1,500 per week and have employee status too. No one in this business could afford that and stay in business. I'm not trying to stir up any **** or make enemies, just passing on some info. Hope this helps some of you to see the larger picture.(usa)
This is CABL.com posting #102808. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mAUm
Posted in reply to: Re: Am I a Employee Or Sub-Contractor?????? by the busdriver
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Am I a Employee Or Sub-Contractor?????? cablchik 4/1/2003 11:06:00 PM