Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Need advice on pulling cable in conduit

(nod)How long ? Number of turns ? : If you have at least a foot of span you can waste , strip back sheath and foam core, overlap center conductor cable end & pulling line/cable . Weave/braid them into each other . Wrap at least 6 inches on both sides of this junction with a continuos application of regular width electrician's tape. I prefer to follow this up with an additional application of wide tape ( if available ). If your pull is extremely long , or traverses several feet of climb, or has several zigs&zags ( elbows, etc. ) you can very easily reach the limit of human pulling capabilities due to the weight or laws of gravity . You can try cable-pulling grease ( cable snot , as we like to call it ), but this should be added from the feed end , in the beginning of the pull . It will lubricate the duct , as you pull , reducing the friction , especially , when you encounter bends in the duct . Mechanical/electrical winches are available, sometimes through rental , or can be purchased at a local electrical supply house, ( I will not give proper names here , but if you contact me , I will point you in the right direction .) And last, but not least, ( and maybe I should of mentioned this first ! ) Make sure the duct is not obstructed . Try blowing a smaller rat , and see if it makes it through with-out obstruction . By appling the air , and I do suggest caution and advise you to seek someone with experience , you may find the duct is clogged with trash , drilling fluid , water , etc. I have encountered all of the above on several occassions , and it doesn't matter how new the duct is . Also , I do not know your geographical location , but , if you are outside this time of year , the duct can even be frozen , YES , FROZEN . If the duct , was not properly capped after installation , and water , or any fluid with a similar freezing point , entered , then , that is another possibility . This has occurred to me , as well , but was overcome over time by applying a continuos flow of warm/semi-hot air to the duct. This was accomplished with engine exhaust, but can only be preformed in an outdoor , or well-ventilated area , where any exiting fumes are returned to the outdoor environment . Do not allow personnel to remain anywhere near the exhaust end of the duct , unless all confined space health regulations are strickly adhered to . If you are pulling coax ouside , you can possibly use a tractor,or other all-terrain vehicle to provide the necessary pulling force . Two way radios should be used , and any interruption in movement should be forwarded immediately from the supply end , to the pulling end , and vice/versa . I hope I have been helpful . Please contact me with your specifics , and I will help you further . Also , if a obstruction is encountered , and you can measure ( some pull tapes and/or cable have the footages marked on them ) , you can guesstimate the location of the obstruction , and if it is accessable , you maybe able to use that point for removal/repair , or as an additional pulling point . (301)535-1658 , or (-REDACTED-) .Good luck , and may the CABLE GODS smile upon you .(wiggle)(bigsmile)(sunny)

>
> Is there an easier way to pull .875 cable through 2" conduit besides using Chinese fingers, lots of tape and pull lube??
>
> Is there any way to tie the mule tape to just the cable and leave out the Chinese fingers?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
This is CABL.com posting #96392. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mzeS
Posted in reply to: Need advice on pulling cable in conduit by cable101a
There are 0 replies to this message