Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Bucket Truck Accident. (anyone have input?)

A somewhat similar incident happened to me in washington back in 1999. I just got a brand new Altec bucket truck working out in the rain on the shoulder of a road the ground beneth my tires gave way on one side while I was in the air about 30 ft. up so down I went it caved in the side of the truck somewhat but the boom itself was undamaged as my self. I only had the wind knocked out of me from the bucket lunging me outward and my harness bungee jerking me backwards, took a tow truck to get the truck back on its side. was probally te longest 2-3 seconds of my life.
Yrs before that working out of a telsta bucket on a hill my truck jumped the chalk block. I guess with the movement of the boom and the truck moving from side to side it lifted up over the chalkblock, truck was in park and had the e-brake on don't know how it happened, but I jumped out into a tree only getting some cuts and bruises, the truck in turn was gone.

> A few years ago, I had a 1995-96 Chevrolet HD-3500 diesel dual-axel with an Altec TA-35 (extra 5-foot extension)fiberglass squirt boom truck that came from an auction in at Altec in Alabama.
>
> This truck was a past lease vehicle from a Colorado lease company (believe Global Lease as the information in cab) and was used as a power company vehicle (was told Southern California Edison) per the registration and information in the truck at the time of purchase.
>
> This truck looked very good and worked very well for about a year both with the truck and the boom. No complaints. Not until one unfortunate day taking a simple EOL.
>
> I had the truck (AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION) in PARK. I had the PARKING BRAKE ON. I had BOTH wheels CHOCKED. I had the boom FULLY extended. I was on FLAT ground at the time of extension (unfortunately the ground underneath was covered in a light gravel surface).
>
> I noticed the boom move slightly. Thought that the joystice was depressed initally, but was not. Then, within seconds, I heard a "click-click-click" and the truck learched forward with each "click". As fast as I could, I tried to swing the boom around with little success until the truck started over a grade and down a hill. I force-stopped the engine from the bucket and did nothing. So, with only a split-second to jump 30+ feet while the truck was moving down a hill (picking up speed along the way) I decided to curl up like a ball in the bucket and "ride it out". The bucket estimated went about 500+ feet and took speeds possibly 15-20+ MPH hit a tree in the passanger right corner, destroyed the front end, broke the wheel completely off the axel, blew the complete windshild intact out and landed about 20+ feet away from truck. Thank God that my boom was at the angle it was. After the impact, the truck kept moving and the boom was the initial brake for the truck as it was against the tree as a block. I was lucky only having a bruised rib right thumb. Also it was just before Christmas 1999...and if that tree was not there, another few hunderd feet, I would have went off the side of a mountain to a nasty ending. (Was on Singal Mountain area of Chattanooga, TN)
>
> Another man I was working with had the SIMILAR type boom on the EXACT type Chevrolet HD-3500 setup. His was a 1999 model and was a PENSKE rental. He had a similar type event where his AUTOMATIC transmission learched forward and his boom came to rest on a pole. I know this because I came to the rescue to backup the truck (which was also on a hill). But he only went about 3-4 feet.
>
> If ANYONE has an EXTENDED boom (TA-35 or similar) on a CHEVROLET HD-3500.....BEWARE that this could also happen to you!!!! I have many photos showing the accident with me still in the bucket above the destroyed truck. I will try to get scanned and post here sometime.
>
> Has anyone had this happen with this type boom/truck? Just thought that I would share this with all just incase someone had "symptoms" in the similar type truck. Just if someone has experienced this type situation (truck learching forward while in PARK with boom extended), PLEASE contact Chevrolet and DON'T BE BRAVEHEART. I was lucky that time. Guess God wanted me to see my family that Christmas!
>
> Thanks for reading!
>
> Greg
> (-REDACTED-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
This is CABL.com posting #95785. Tiny Link: cabl.co/my45
Posted in reply to: Bucket Truck Accident. (anyone have input?) by Buffalo Chips
There are 0 replies to this message