Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: P/S a/c requirememts

Use the formula that SWITCHMAN gave you. Figure you're worst case amperage draw, then buy an inverter that exceeds the requirements. TRANSIENT SPIKE also brought up something else to take into account in that the truck has to be able to keep up with the power demands of the inverter. Along with his suggestions I would also advise a dual battery setup with an isolator in the truck to give a dedicated power source without killing the truck, that way you can go home when the outage is over.

>
> I just want to buy a unit for the truck and don't want to get one to small to do the job.
> > Yea sounds like what we have if you have too much draw it kills the inverter after about 15 mins. What our problem seems to be is the low input voltage. The alternator on the van can't keep up.
> >
> > Solutions
> > 1. Smaller pulley on alternator,
> > 2. High output (200 amp) alternator. (Or turning all of your
> > headlights, ac off, etc. during "babysitting a powersupply" or
> > 3. Turn the DC side off of the powersupply. It tends to draw an extra 4 amps to recharge to batteries. Turn it on when commercial power comes back up.
> >
> >
> >
> > > Depends on the amp draw..........I used one some what like that when I was a tech. If I came upon a node that had 6 amps of draw I could sit on it all day with my inverter in my truck.... but if it had 12 amps of draw it wouldn't last 20 min because the load was too high. Just remember Volts X Amps = Watts
> > >
> > > > I have an old Mag.60v polemount power supply. what is the minimum watt/amp for inverter or generator to run this. Any input would be appreciated.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Winston Churchill
This is CABL.com posting #95563. Tiny Link: cabl.co/my1v
Posted in reply to: Re: P/S a/c requirememts by upstream
There are 0 replies to this message