Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: cat 5 Question

I do this all of time and I charge 75.00 for NEW construction and 150.00 for old buildings this is per drop not outlet. Also the guy is correct use 5E you may a;spo want to check city codes some citys require plenum cable.
As far as hooking up the network I charge 90.00 hour. One last thing make sure that you stay at least 16 inch from power and if you have to cross power do it a 90 degree angle

Here is the difference to Cat5e and Cat5

CAT 5 v. CAT 5e
(Q) What's the difference between CAT 5 cable and CAT 5e cable?

(A) CAT 5 cable and CAT 5e cable have several differences, the most important are as follows:

Network support - CAT 5 cable will support 10/100 Ethernet. That is, Ethernet and Fast Ethernet. CAT 5e cable will support Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, and Gigabit Ethernet. CAT 5e Cable is completely backwards compatible, and can be used in any application in which you would normally use CAT 5 cable.
Less crosstalk - Crosstalk is the electrical interference that results when one wire's signal effects another wire's signal. CAT 5e cable has been improved over CAT 5 cable in this respect, and crosstalk has been greatly reduced.
Bandwidth - This is directly related to network support, in the sense that the bandwidth is the information-carrying capacity of a system. The greater the bandwidth, the greater the information-carrying capacity in a given period of time. CAT 5e cable is rated at 350 megahertz, and it is this increased bandwidth (compared to CAT 5 cable) that allows it to support Gigabit Ethernet.
If you are unsure whether to use CAT 5 OR CAT 5e, I(wiggle) recommend ordering CAT 5e.

> Does anyone no what the going rate is to run cat 5 and what does it include . Im a contracter for a cable system in ct.
> and do their commercial installs.I recently did a job at a town hall consisting of 8 network outlets,install of modem,
> 8 port hub, and test all outlets w/laptop, they supplied materials.I think the price I gave them was too low[$850.00]
> Ive heard the going rate is between $150.00 and $350.00 per outlet.Ive also done acouple of MDU projects running network wire for them [not activating]and just charged them my standard price for cable postwire.
> Ive been doing cable for 15 years ,this network stuff is kind
> of new to me.
This is CABL.com posting #94046. Tiny Link: cabl.co/myC2
Posted in reply to: cat 5 Question by Danno22
There are 0 replies to this message