Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: New Safety Tool for pole climbing

Ok lets start of by saying that I am a nationally certified pole climbing instructor with 15 years of training experience so I know pole climbing, From the views I saw on your web site the hand operated device was overhead and required some reaching to use and would also require some pressure to release the gaffs from the pole once engaged. Standard pole climbing gaffs are a cutting tool designed to work on a 30 degree angle with proper alignment this requires proper body balance and positioning. Reaching overhead while climbing will reduce your angle to the pole and will also distract the climber from maintaining proper positioning to the pole. Instead of creating all of these new fangled gadgets to catch someone when they cut out and fall from a pole we need to provide better training and certification to teach each lineman the proper way to climb to prevent a cut out and a fall in the first place. And proper pole inspection and testing training. The day of handing a man or woman a set of gaffs and telling them good luck or here's how I do it needs to be replaced with proper training in the Cable industry.
But that's just my opinion.(wacky)

> I wouldn't knock it until I've tried it, but I also wouldn't spend $120 to try it. I would be a little nervous that it would get caught up on the pole some way, causing me to wrestle with it half way up the pole. There are a few guys that I know who are scared to climb...this could possibly be a good tool to help green beans climb their first pole.
My web Page http://cablejobs.netfirms.com
This is CABL.com posting #93172. Tiny Link: cabl.co/myoW
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: New Safety Tool for pole climbing SAF T CLIMBER 1/3/2003 9:19:00 PM