Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Adelphia -

There ya go then, someone finally said it, go to installs from sweep tech. There are aspects of installation that just plain suck to think about, I know, I did it for close to fifteen years but ya know, having done splicing and some sweep as well as having been a service tech for a while, it is good to know that this old body can still hustle my tools and make a living with installation when all else is dried up. There is no shame in it, just a little embarrassing to have to learn some of the new sh**, digital convertor troubleshooting and modem installation but what the hell, we only had 10 channels with one premium when I got started and lot of stuff changed and had to be learned along the way but the one thing that never changes is the customer, God bless their pointy little heads!! Coax is coax, it takes a certain amount of skill to do a clean postwire job on a house and not have it look like crap a few years later. All I need is a steel ball and a magnet and I can produce art the likes of which would have Monet spinning in his casket! And as long as I believe my own deluded bullsh** I can maintain this three-time-divorced-lonely-ex-alcoholic lifestyle I've grown so accustomed to. What a Country!!!
God bless Mother F'n CATV!!!

> Oh! Forgot to say...that I also live in the real world too. Have seen a ton of changes since I started in 1979. Worked for MSO's, contractors, manufacturers, in-house, out-house (sh*t-house that is...lol), had own business and had it stuck in me and broke off to boot. Now I am a self-employeed independent. And yes, this is the worst I have ever seen it...but real world or not, there IS work happening now. I know that it is a kick below the belt to accept a lesser type job (I.E.- Installer from Sweep Tech) temporarily until the stuff starts rolling. The cycle is at its low point...just like a poker game. When your on a losing streak, slow down and limit your investment and wait for the cards to get better, then slam 'em!
>
> Stuff will get better! Besides, bills need to get paid...and this past year will make any man real humble real quick!
>
> Have a good one! (usa)
>
>
>
> I'll stop preaching now...lol. Just
>
>
>
>
> > Well, I can understand your frustration and "grim" words. Yes, espically since you work/worked as a project co-ordinator for Adelphia. BUT>>>> As you mentioned, "Look for a new career", well, I don't think so just yet.
> >
> > There is hope out there. The ENTIRE industry is not just going to evaporate and cease to exist. If anything, INHOUSE jobs will be slashed and CONTRACTOR labor will be utilized for the major stuff. And unfortunately, it has nothing to do with "tallent or experience", just $$$$. Contract prices have dropped, and those MSO's who have not dropped their prices, their PRIMES had to subsidize what they pay their sub's due to the Adelphia Scandel or risk going Chapter 11 themselves. MERRY CHRISTMAS ADELPHIA. You see, many companies would rather pay contract labor and not have to screw with the insurances and 401K (that could be tampered with...!?!?!?!) and other stuff.
> >
> > I guess that you probebly already know that information anyways. Yes, the strong will survive, many will and have gone "bye bye". But I for one, am not ready to throw in the towel and change careers yet. Just because Adelphia is so far down the sewer with no hope insight for work, this does not mean that the entire industry is based on them. I onced worked in the Virginia Regional office back in the early '90. We could share stories...lol. Blacksburg was picked up after I had left them. Couldn't support myself on my REGIONAL PAYSCALE, couldn't immagine what the system folks were paid! But, a man has to support his family.
> >
> > I just want to try to give you some words of hope. Keep strong and don't let the economy and scandal bullsh*t take over you bad side.
> >
> > Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! 2003 WILL BE BETTER!!!
> >
> > (usa)
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > That's right. Adelphia and everyone else is about finished and done with as far as upgrades and building plant is concerned. The entire corporate world as we knew it is also finished, which is probably a good thing. What few companies that will have any capital dollars at all will do things other than build plant such as mod swaps and electronic compression options. MSO's will tell you what they will pay, take it or leave it. The long term effects of the end of the cable boom will cause most of you to switch careers eventually in order to survive.
> > > Cable has run it's course unless you are in-house operations such as a tech or head-end person. Sorry, I just tell it like it is and live in the real world. Good luck to all of you, keep your head up and move on, don't beat a dead horse.(usa) All you guys (and ladies) that worked on one of my projects, thank you from the heart for your hard work! (former Adelphia Project Coordinator)
> > >
> > > > Don't rely on Adelphia to pay your bills, they are planning on cutting 20% of there in-house staff, as what the rumor is from in-house staff.....(sad) Things are bad for Adelphia
> > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > I to was working with adelphia doing HSD forward and return and that hit the can as well, but I asked a friend how works in cottersport about that last week and he has not gotten back to me as of yet I hope the work comes in myself(poke)
> > > > > >
> > > > > > I can assure you they will not be starting the upgrade back up. The projects for the southeast do not exist any longer!
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > > Does anyone know if Adelphia is starting up the upgrade projects that was in the works before the ______ hit the fan. I was working an Alabama job and had half the town left when they closed us down. e-mail me if you know. Tks Gary Sinclair(crazy)(bigsmile)(bigsmile)
This is CABL.com posting #92758. Tiny Link: cabl.co/myig
Posted in reply to: Re: Adelphia - by Buffalo Chips
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Adelphia - Buffalo Chips 12/27/2002 2:18:00 PM