Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: system 11amps

Just one more note...

If you use a small blade and pry the fins outward if flat, this will help the RF connection I spoke of last reply. The fins get flat from constantly plug-in and removal of modules. As I said...this potential is will ALL equipment. Years ago Magnavox made a RF wire-mesh doughnut that would slip over the connections for their 5-MC motherboards for improved grounding. As I said...this is RF, not AC issue.

Greg

> Hi Mike!
>
> Well, the modules look similar. The only way that you can tell a high from a low-current type is by the color of the plastic on the "N" connector from my knowledge. The seizure blocks also are color coded. Believe that there are blue, black and white...it has been a while since I have worked with them. Call SA and confirm color vs. current to be sure.
>
> They should not loosen up if they were properly mated to proper configuration and not "opened" by forcing the larger pin into smaller socket.
>
> Be aware that ALL amplifiers have the potential of a bad ground (RF, not AC) when the grounding fins on the "N" connector get flat. This can and does occur at ALL points where a module plugs into a motherboard or seizure that use "N" connections. This will show up normally as a suckout or intermittent response change and is temperature sensitive. You can also see when it varies as the module or housing is tapped on sweep.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Greg
>
>
> > Greg,
> > Do you by any chance have a picture of the high current module and the low current module? I'm not sure which one we have, probably a little of both. I have seen some of the white plugs and some black.
> >
> > Do you know of any reason that the siezure plugs would loosen up over a period of time, or have any suggestions on how to keep them tight.
> >
> > Any information would be helpful. thanks, Mike
> >
> > > Hi Chuck!
> > >
> > > Your problem is caused by high current draw and there are many possibilities.
> > >
> > > 1.) System powering is excessive at the point of the burn-up. You need to confirm that the design is correct and the amplifiers are powered as per design.
> > >
> > > 2.) Confirm that you have correct housing block/seizure screws installed. SA made both high/low-current types that will interchange in housings. These are color coded and need to be constant. High-current have a larger pin than a low-current.
> > >
> > > 3.) System Amp modules were also manufactured in both high/low-current modules. The low-current have smaller female "N-connection" and the high-current have a larger female "N-connection" to accept the housing block/seizure screw pin. Unfortunately these get interchanged in system housings without the knowledge of the concequences.
> > >
> > > If a low-current module (small female n-connector) is installed into a high-current housing seizure block (large pin), and excessive current is NOT exceeded, this will work...but exceeds/expands the diameter of the "female n-connector" in the module.
> > >
> > > If a high-current module (large female n-connector) is installed into a low-current housing seizure block (small pin), this will cause a potential open and cause high current draw that could burn-up both seizure and module connections.
> > >
> > > 4.) If a low-current module was forced into a high-current seizure in past...this would expand the female "N-connector". This module could be in the warehouse and sent into field with the assumption that the connections are correct. When this module gets installed in a low-current (small pin) housing, it will also cause a potential open and high-current draw that could burn-up equipment. Inspection of all modules in question should be performed so this will not happen.
> > >
> > > I hope that I have helped you. I used to be an FE with Philips and SA over the years. Now I am a contractor. Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions!
> > >
> > > Greg Tobin
> > > (314) 422-4423
> > >
> > >
> > > > I just had 2 system 11 amps burn up the push on f connectors on the module, is this pretty normal and do the system 111 amps have the same problems. Chuck
This is CABL.com posting #86136. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mwzs
Posted in reply to: Re: system 11amps by Buffalo Chips
There are 0 replies to this message