Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Instead of a strike how about...

Well said magi, I have been around this buis. for 17 years. hear is what I have found, Take a guy with about 4 or 5 splcers working out of pickups and ragged buckets bought at an auction. Then Take the all mighty PRIME with 4 or 5 brand new t-40s and 20 -30 splicers in brand new buckets.(and he pays his high school drop outs 9.00 per hr). And tell me which one is going to produce the best product? I'll tell you, its the small guy that does not carry the(PRIME)you need me attitude. Thats my opinion.(snipper)

> ...absolutely REFUSING to work for any type of Prime who is not a local Mom & Pop type local or, in very special cases, regional operation. Make sure that you let the respective MSO know that you are looking forward to delivering quality results but that the mega-greedy uncaring Prime system is just not cutting it anymore and that the actual best interest of the MSO would be served in phasing them out. Point out the notorious lack of mega DirectTV Primes as an example. Bigger is definitely NOT better when it comes to customer satisfaction and the days of helplessly clueless customers are over. Stick together to make this concept work, produce quality results on a consistent basis, and over a reasonably short period of time your local Mom & Pop should be able to renegotiate prices upward to a mutually beneficial level.
>
> What follows is a reprint of my January 11, 2002 posting:
>
> > > I believe that 2002, overall, will be a very good year for mapping and all other areas. However, my crystal ball says to avoid the larger operators and larger projects if at all possible. Better a one to two year project for a mid-size MSO which truly has it's act together and is committed to it's stated project goals, than a so-called five year job which really only runs for eight or nine "this year's budget" months at a time. These may also be more prone to the merciless capital spending reduction axe when the latest acquisition is announced or industry-shaking legislation is proposed. The larger jobs also tend to involve dealing with the mega-brokers whom the operators like because they will work for less as a tradeoff for receiving mass volume commitments. But, of course, when the system "business as usual" employees get tired of all the inevitable problems caused by these cost "savings" and it is time to designate the latest scapegoat and play musical subcontractors (or would that be pin the tail on the donkey?) your outfit might just be the one selected to pack their bags and head on down the road. Moreover, the potential of a very possible Hughes Electronics (DIRECTV) and Echostar merger looming on the not so distant horizon really has made some rural and mid-sized system folks nervous. With this prospect in mind the RSGs (real smart guys – a military officer or Pentagon official used this term about the military and government thinkers who quickly respond to combat field deficiencies with innovative solutions) at the large operators should also theoretically be taking the necessary budget reallocation steps to ensure that their more rural holdings receive the capital required for critical competitive upgrades. They all now have a vested interest in seriously getting, and keeping, their collective acts together in such areas. Since most of the over builders have now folded, the big city markets for the most part are still going to be enough of an involuntary monopoly that we can still afford the time to break promise after promise. But what the hell do I really know about anything? Good luck!
> > >
> > > >Just curious if it's a sink or swim year!
>
This is CABL.com posting #83367. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mvQN
There are 0 replies to this message