Create your free account now! Sign up

Politics n' cable

The quip about the republican party being responsible for the downturn in cable money and business has to be the most intolerably ignorant spewage of goat-tripe to have been cast upon this board in some time..Jesus, look to the past and get some facts straight. The big MSO's have been operating on the principle "if we build it, they will come." Real nice if you say it real fast and sign the checks but I don't really think any of these operators did a thourough accounting of their demographics (not to be confused with Democrat) in order to ascertain the actual financial return on investment they would recieve upon launch of all the "high falootin'" services they intended to offer. One company (who's name I wont mention here) manager in particular was quoted as saying that the second the upgraded lineup was offered, they were IMMEDIATELY $700,000.00 in the red!! That is not to mention the ongoing additional costs for services being provided but not subscribed to due in part to it being a "soft" launch which means that there was very little adverstising done since they had a crippled service staff and were terribly worried that they would be overwhelmed if they had used the usual means to get the word out.
It wouldn't much matter anyway, they typically start out with the discounted "trial period" which leads to increased installation costs with little or no return and then the inevitable service downgrade costs when the trial period is over! Most of the public could give a rats ass about all the bells and whistles and if you think cable modems are king sh** on youth mountain guess again, DSL has 'em beat hands down and dial up is getting increasingly faster (in my opinion)so that lil' argument holds little merit.
Face it, the whole thing has been and still is an incredible sham. The prices contractors got to build and sweep this crap was simply amazing. There are yokels out there with no education that have to brush their teeth by numbers making earnings that SKILLED tradesmen like carpenters and plumbers would die for. The CATV industry has played an incredibly mean joke on middle America because they believed their own bullsh**. They're paying for it now and the sh** flows downhill which if you were in plumbing you'd know that's the first thing you learn. It aint gonna get better, the salad days are over. The in-house boy's and managers will live fat and happy while the contractors take their ball and go home, not by choice mind you, the game is simply over. The MSO's paid out way too much way too early and are licking their wounds now. The folks that staked their lives on the income are gonna suffer as well. And then you have the Rigas family and their lil' trick bag. Jail terms aint gonna happen and recovery of any money is just wishful thinking.
Besides it'll just go back into the Adelphia till which wont amount to a hill of beans anyhoo.
I guess the point is, it was a nice run while it lasted, gots to go back to being normal ham n' egger's now.
I'm off my medication, does it show??
This is CABL.com posting #83078. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mvL8
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Politics n' cable Zoots Alures 9/9/2002 8:20:00 PM
Re: Politics n' cable Zoots Alures 9/9/2002 8:17:00 PM