Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: CATV..... STRIKE!!!!!!!!!

I am an installation contractor in MI that has seen enough!
The last prime I worked for still owes me about $9000, and will soon have their turn in court to explain why. The prime I am with now has been issuing us double routes (12-20 digital, analog, or modem installs) while stressing the importance of quality work.(What a joke!) We are also required to make any fixes from a previous techs mistakes, change all fittings throughout if not compression style, reground if not up to specs, new drops if not spec, etc,etc. This is all fine if you get paid for all the repairs, but in most cases we are not. We all know that it is damn near impossible to complete more than 10 jobs per day unless the quality suffers. On payday, all the techs bitch and moan because they found that they are being shorted hundreds of dollars from gigs on previous weeks. Its easy for a lot of you out there that read about us 'whiners' to simply say start doing quality work, but it is impossible in many cases for most of us to complete our assignments, let alone fix all the other problems that may be included in any particular address. The primes simply expect too much from their people. How many jobs do you think an in house tech can complete in a day? 5 or 6 tops, and half of them are simple disconnects or service changes. When a contractor goes to a home for even a basic service change (filter), he is required to check out the entire installation from the tap on the pole, right up to the last TV in the basement. Anything out of spec must be changed or fixed, and many of the fixes are not coded for compensation. A 5 minute trap change usually winds up taking about 45 minutes!! This is all OK as long as the tech is well compensated for all the work he does, but the prices they are paying these days are terrible. Now that their quality standards have taken a quantum leap, it is time for the pay to match the work. I say we all stop work until we negotiate a fair compensation contract that considers OUR needs and realizes that to those of us that take our jobs seriously, this is a SKILLED profession that has many hazards and risks we are no longer willing to take for minimum wage!!!

> Well I am doing my part, walked away from a reto job for .22/ft,all all kinds of delays, parts handed out daily like they were gold, and still not everything, drops redone, new coonectors, grommets, terminators, unreal amount of documentation, changing all existing s&s including no hit poles, and there is more but won't list here.Anyone wants to know more or the primes and where you can email me. Will give specifics.(usa)
>
> > (bash)THESE PRICES ARE NOT PAYING THE BILLS.... WE NEED TO GET TOGETHER AND SET A DEADLINE FOR A GOOD CATV RALLEY. LETS REPLY TO EACH OTHER AND GET A RALLEY FOR A CATV STRIKE!(cussing)
This is CABL.com posting #83050. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mvLG
Posted in reply to: Re: CATV..... STRIKE!!!!!!!!! by cabull splisur
There are 0 replies to this message