Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: we need to strike

That was the point I was trying to make, you said it better though. That is one of the major problems, they have to pay for the extra people up front or things like this will continue to happen. Maybe pay should be withheld until there is an inspection and all gigs are signed off, with a deadline as to how long the inspector has to get to it. It's an idea that has worked in the past' but the hacks whine about it until they leave. Having enough qualified QC people on the job is the key to a high quality and smooth running operation.

>
> You are absolutely correct about the QC people - but the bad news is the majority of times we have found that they're not on the scene until LONG AFTER the work is completed....then you have a hard time disputing their findings...QC should be done immediately following the work, so that any problems could be rectified right then and there and resolved to everyone's satisfaction. After all, what good is QC so far after the fact? My hub's lucky that he doesn't usually have major issues, just nitpitcking stuff, but it still has to be corrected to QCs satisfaction, which is fine. They should at least have to do it while you are still on the job site and then both parties sign off showing it's no longer an issue...and at that time, payment should be made for the work performed! Wouldn't that be a perfect world!(halo)
>
> > If that is the case then it is the MSO's or the primes problem for not having the proper QC personnel( you get what you pay for ). I'm in no way suggesting that a union would be a good thing for the industry, but without a proper QC the hacks are allowed to screw up to much plant before they are caught. Having qualified QC people cost's the prime or the MSO more up front but saves them in the long run.
> >
> > > Everybody's talking Union and the Cable company as if that was the real problem but the real problem is the hacks that do a piss poor job at splicing and then go to the next town to do it again. Usually means some else has to clean it up. There are some great splicers out there unfortunately it's easier to remember one bad one than one good one. I know alot of good ones but have worked behind way to many bad ones. Who do you think pays for the crap (the Cable Company and the Prime) usually twice. So if you want to make more money talk to the guy you know does sh** work and just collect the check and have him change then maybe the prices will star getting better.
> > >
> > > > Don't need the union. That is one more person that will collect dues and does not work. Hang in there! We need to get the cable companies to hire contractors that have people to do the work. Why are there so many ads on the cabl bar? These subs have obviously promised more than they can handle! Good Luck to you and hang in there.
> > > >
> > > > > If prices are not good how are we suposed to live?
> > > > > The only way to get the prices to go back up is to take a stand and refuse to work for pennies on the dollar. Every contractor needs to consider this seriously, like the reply below states (WORK STOPPAGE). Does anybody have some ideas for a Cable Workers Union.
> > > > > I think it could just about eliminate the hackers, and the dishonest contractors that do not pay their people. and maybee the jobs would be way more organized. (making it up as you go is NOT organized)
> > > > > Does anybody have any other suggestions other than a union or a work stoppage, I am very interested to hear back from everybody so please reply
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > > Looking for retro splicers in Georgia.
> > > > > > Prices are not great, but if looking for
> > > > > > work that will last a while.
> > > > > > Call me at 706-215-1148
> > > > > > Gerry Wilson
> > > > > > Global Telecom
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. Winston Churchill
This is CABL.com posting #82803. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mvHH
Posted in reply to: Re: we need to strike by Wife of a cable guy
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: we need to strike Wife of a cable guy 9/6/2002 9:12:00 AM