Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Question for all of you splicers

Whether or not a "splicer", "tapper", or "tech" is doing the splicing, we have been told as contractors that we are to build to design. We are not to call any attention to design errors because it will make the engineer look stupid. When that happens, we can expect retaliation such as having to change straps and spacers on every pole, or having to put additional splices at every pole on a retro project to bring the equipment out to new build specs.

I have however had to re-splice many dc's while sweeping because of "scumbag contractors" falsifying EOL's on the field print. I myself am a "scumbag contractor," but just as important as "being paid" you are paid to do the job correctly as a professional.

> Do NOT confuse "tappers" with splicers. Any splicer can read a map. Some can READ a map. I've been doing this for a long time and have lost track of the number of DRAFTING (not Engineering) SNAFUS regarding DCs...they're actually DRAWN with the legs wrong and too many contractors do not want their splicers or tappers fixing it as they go...they'd rather the customer find the mistake so it can be repaired as an "up charge" where fixing it first would bring no extra money. Eliminating them from the system is just brain-dead non-thinking. DCs provide better isolation than splitters. Engineers suffer from the affliction that ONLY they think... ever try to tell one his/her design is flawed? Nearly all contractors stress "do it as the map says" to cover their ass and if nobody catches the mistake the System Techs inherit it and...voila...20 years later.................
>
> > I just had my Director of Engineering come and inform me that from now on I am no longer supposed to use any DC's in the design I do. His reason was and I quote" I want this done this way because every time I send a splicer out to splice and he comes to a dc, he always splices the cables to the wrong leg on the dc. My question to him was wouldn't it be better to train the splicers how to read a map. He told me that this was becomming more of an industry standard. This is the reason of the shorter cascades. To eliminate the use of dc's. It has nothing to do with bandwith, distortions or any other valid reason. Except to keep his splicers from screwing up.
> >
> > Is this standard procedure with any other companies out there?(shocked)(eek)(bounce)
This is CABL.com posting #82666. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mvFu
Posted in reply to: Re: Question for all of you splicers by cdnsplicer
There are 0 replies to this message