Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Question for all of you splicers

Come on everyone.....you don't expect anyone, especially an engineer, to admit that they could have screwed up do you???...."Oh no, we designed this right...there must be bad cable or a bad splice somewhere". One growing trend i've been seeing is this......it's always the splicers fault. If a node's been spliced for 2 weeks, and in the middle of sweep there's a drop call it must be a splicers problem. After a month of working fine, there's all of a sudden an outage....must be a splicers problem. There's low levels at an end of line....must be a splicer's problem. Any problem had to be "our fault". I've spliced many DC's that were designed wrong. And, as other's have stated, i've been told not to correct it. Then i get a service call at 10:00pm about low levels. I haven't heard that systems aren't designing DC's into their plant because of the splicer's inability to splice it properly....but i have been told not flip amp and LE modules over in the housing because the techs get confused by it. seems to me that this is just another example of it being the "splicers fault"....
> I just had my Director of Engineering come and inform me that from now on I am no longer supposed to use any DC's in the design I do. His reason was and I quote" I want this done this way because every time I send a splicer out to splice and he comes to a dc, he always splices the cables to the wrong leg on the dc. My question to him was wouldn't it be better to train the splicers how to read a map. He told me that this was becomming more of an industry standard. This is the reason of the shorter cascades. To eliminate the use of dc's. It has nothing to do with bandwith, distortions or any other valid reason. Except to keep his splicers from screwing up.
>
> Is this standard procedure with any other companies out there?(shocked)(eek)(bounce)
This is CABL.com posting #81657. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mvpd
Posted in reply to: Question for all of you splicers by cablcontractor
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Question for all of you splicers fmsweeper 8/26/2002 8:16:00 PM